• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Towing and gear hunting

Efc665

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
Hello All! I’m sure there have been posts about this before but new to the group. I have a 2020 Tacoma SR Double cab 4x4. Not knowing much about the Tacoma since last one I bought was a 2010 base 4x2. My last one had about 180,000 miles no problems. So I thought I was due for an upgrade right? Well my wife thought so too. Newer bigger truck finally meant we can have the camper we always wanted. So we buy a hybrid camper weighing 3200lbs. Not thinking anything of it since the truck rated at 6000 towing capacity. Made a few trips came to the conclusion it’s too heavy on the tongue I got a weight distribution and anti sway system. That made a world of difference towing. However where I’m still having an issue is with the trans constantly hunting for a gear. I’ve read before keeping it in sport mode under 5 is the way to go. Have yet to try it and I’m interested if anyone has other ideas. Any thoughts? Thanks All!

When hauling heavier loads, I keep mine in sport/manual, and shift to 4th up hills, 5th the rest of the time. Some steep hills (or mountain roads at slower speeds) it'll hunt a bunch between 3rd and 4th. I shift to 3rd.
Ain't ideal, and is one of my chief complaints with the truck, but at least you can limit the up shifts .

What @Biohazard said and I would look into OVTune for the added benefit of a bit more power, better shift patterns, and the upcoming Gear Lock feature that locks the transmission into a gear and prevents the gear hunting you are referring to.

Hello all, I’m planning on a trip to Yellowstone from Los Angles in August. I will hauling a trailer weighing at 3,500 dry wt. tongue weigh is 350Ibs. My concern is that i have the King suspensions having 3” in the front and 2.5” in the back with a new AAL. I just called 88rotors where I got the suspension done, they said the payload on the AAL is 300lbs. Im worried, it’s going to squat/sag at rear. Any recommendations what Leaf pack would take a higher payload? Maybe 600 lbs? And would keep rear leveled with the front?

Hello all, I’m planning on a trip to Yellowstone from Los Angles in August. I will hauling a trailer weighing at 3,500 dry wt. tongue weigh is 350Ibs. My concern is that i have the King suspensions having 3” in the front and 2.5” in the back with a new AAL. I just called 88rotors where I got the suspension done, they said the payload on the AAL is 300lbs. Im worried, it’s going to squat/sag at rear. Any recommendations what Leaf pack would take a higher payload? Maybe 600 lbs? And would keep rear leveled with the front?

While I'm all for adding a quality leaf pack to that already quality suspension, what you need is also some airbags so you can dial it in when towing a weight that can change on varying trips.

I'd check out @DobinsonsUSA for the springs and Firestone for the bags with Daystar cradles.

What @Biohazard said and I would look into OVTune for the added benefit of a bit more power, better shift patterns, and the upcoming Gear Lock feature that locks the transmission into a gear and prevents the gear hunting you are referring to.

How far off is that? I'd get the tune for that feature alone.

-M

While I'm all for adding a quality leaf pack to that already quality suspension, what you need is also some airbags so you can dial it in when towing a weight that can change on varying trips.

I'd check out @DobinsonsUSA for the springs and Firestone for the bags with Daystar cradles.

thanks for the reply. I just ordered the Firestone 2410 airbags. Question? Some are saying it’s suppose to be the 2407 model. I have a 2019 SR5 4x2 trim. Lifted with kings.

thanks for the reply. I just ordered the Firestone 2410 airbags. Question? Some are saying it’s suppose to be the 2407 model. I have a 2019 SR5 4x2 trim. Lifted with kings.

I wouldn't know for sure. I'd contact Firestone direct for exact fitment for your vehicle. Post up what you find out.

Back