• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Top non-mod things to do with a new Tacoma?

itzWicks

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
If there is a an existing thread for this, somebody feel free to point me in the right direction. Otherwise...

I have been a new Taco owner for less than 60 days. It would be nice to have a resource that tells me what top 5 non-mod things I should do FIRST with my truck that will set me up for success. And by success, I mean facilitate a nice long period of trouble free operation.

So far, the only things that i have done is check my original dealership's service number for possible recall and service notifications based off of my VIN, as well as enhance the inventory of everyday tools my Taco carries. This weekend, I promised myself that I would drink lots of coffee and actually READ the owners manual (cover to cover).

Any other suggestions from you guys?

If there is a an existing thread for this, somebody feel free to point me in the right direction. Otherwise...

I have been a new Taco owner for less than 60 days. It would be nice to have a resource that tells me what top 5 non-mod things I should do FIRST with my truck that will set me up for success. And by success, I mean facilitate a nice long period of trouble free operation.

So far, the only things that i have done is check my original dealership's service number for possible recall and service notifications based off of my VIN, as well as enhance the inventory of everyday tools my Taco carries. This weekend, I promised myself that I would drink lots of coffee and actually READ the owners manual (cover to cover).

AC drain re-route, that is the very first thing I did once finding out about it.

Is this something a novice can do, or should I seek someone who knows what they're doing?

It’s very easy to do. There is a ton of tutorials out there but it’s easy enough.

*What I did*

-Turn wheels full lock to the left
-Under front passenger side wheel well, remove the 3 fasteners holding the rear splash guard
-locate approx 3-4” hose sticking out of firewall
(That is your ac drain and it drips right into the frame ?)
-take 5/8 heater hose with hose clamps and slip it over the hose sticking out
-tighten hose clamp (snug but not over tight
**you can also get a union to go inside the hose and into a new hose, essentially making the hose longer**
-reroute new hose to around frame, closer to the ground.
-re attach splash guard

Watch how you do it, it doesn’t take long but there is a heat shield that you don’t want it resting on. Mine is close to it but does not sit on the heat shield and haven’t had any issues.

This is actually a really good idea for a page to implement on the site in the future.

I think it sort of depends on what you plan to use your truck for. For me the stock tires were one of the biggest downfalls of my truck. I had the Goodyear Kevlar tires and they were pretty good overall but not great off road. If you plan on your truck being used for off road activities it may be smart to change your stock tires and sell them with good tread life left. My first 5 “upgrades” were 1) a tonneau cover 2) weatherproof floor mats 3) bed mat 4) new tires 5) tailgate lock. I consider these “non mods” because you can go with OEM for all of these except the tires and still have a truck that could be considered stock. A lot of people also upgrade their interior and exterior lights for LED or HID over the stock halogen lights

AC mod, tinted front windows, side bars, and blacked out badging first things I did. Nothing really costly. Replacing stock wheels with black TRD wheels and a camper shell next as the money come rolling in. LOL

Did you ever end up reading the entire owners manual? I still want to do that myself although I don’t think I would learn much from it at this point.

Did you ever end up reading the entire owners manual? I still want to do that myself although I don’t think I would learn much from it at this point.
Lol. I had done that before walking in the dealership

Back