• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

To Grill Or To Skottle?!

ragofabrication

ragofabrication.com
Authorized Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.ragofabrication.com
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
Cooking while camping can either be relaxing or a real pain in the @$$. Our camping trips are always a blast, and we cook SOOO MUCH. We grill everything, from our breakfast to our dinner. I’m no pro, but I know my way around a grill. We have experimented with many different outside cooking options like wood grills, charcoal grills, and gas grills. Our backyard grill is a 3 in 1 gas, charcoal, and griddle. But we were searching for something to take on our camping and off-road adventures. Ideally, purchasing something light weight and easily stored would be best. Finally, after looking over many different on-the-go grills we made the decision to indulge and purchase the Rago Grill and a TemboTusk Skottle. Having both the Rago grill and the Skottle while on our family adventures has made cooking outdoors that much easier. No matter which one we use, our food is always remarkable.

Continue Reading-->To Grill Or To Skottle?!

Attachments

• bottom blog.jpg
    bottom blog.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 76
I'm confused by the point of view of this post. You purchased the Rago Grill and a TemboTusk Skottle...from yourself?

I don't see the point of a scottle. I don't ever cook that way. That Rago grill looks nice, but a charcoal/wood grill isn't practical for camping for me.

-M

I don't see the point of a scottle. I don't ever cook that way. That Rago grill looks nice, but a charcoal/wood grill isn't practical for camping for me.

-M
I have a friend who uses a skottle for every meal when camping and he does some AMAZING things with it but I just can't get over the exorbitant cost. I solve this problem by just eating whatever he's cooking :)

I have a friend who uses a skottle for every meal when camping and he does some AMAZING things with it but I just can't get over the exorbitant cost. I solve this problem by just eating whatever he's cooking :)
Good plan! I personally don't enjoy the ordeal of cooking when camping that much. Could be due to the kids who only want mac or hot dogs. I get by with a regular propane stove 1 cast iron pan and 1 pot.

-M

Good plan! I personally don't enjoy the ordeal of cooking when camping that much. Could be due to the kids who only want mac or hot dogs. I get by with a regular propane stove 1 cast iron pan and 1 pot.

-M
When I solo camp I just bring a bag of Soylent and skip the cooking altogether. Makes my gear requirements WAY lighter if I don't need anything for cooking. I usually bring something when I camp with others though because if you just have Soylent they insist on feeding me and it makes me feel guilty.

Skottle= extra weight, more cleaning, more room taken up in the bed, and a lot more money. I just cant jump on board with those things. I'm a Jetboil and Coleman 2 burner kind of guy. Those can stow easy and cost a fraction while doing the same thing. Long multi day trips wouldnt fare well with charchoal or wood either. I'm sure there a folks who could use those options though.

MRE's, for me if solo with my back pack mini stove to boil water and a personal coffee press.

With wife, then a camping stove and the tote with the cooking gear, bigger coffee press, and good quality food packed into the ICECO for far better eating while camping.

Happy wife; happy life.......

MRE's, for me if solo with my back pack mini stove to boil water and a personal coffee press.

With wife, then a camping stove and the tote with the cooking gear, bigger coffee press, and good quality food packed into the ICECO for far better eating while camping.

Happy wife; happy life.......
MREs are actually designed to make you constipated. So you'll need less TP! Or more coffee.

-M

MREs are actually designed to make you constipated. So you'll need less TP! Or more coffee.

-M
MRE stands for... Meals Resisting to Exit. I typically go for Mtn House or Back Packers Pantry. Those can hit either way. You either cant crap or you're running to the woods with a pack of wipes

for cooking out of the tacoma I have the Blackstone flat grill, for when on the BMW GSA 1200r I use a msg pocket rocket or the firebox stove. while the scuttle is cool. I already have more way to cook to want to buy another thing to use.

Between 3 different cook setups depending on truck, motorcycle, or backpacking. the scuttle is cool and the rango fab grill is sweet, thats just two items I do not need. but I wouldn't say no to a rango fab grill if it was a gift ;)

Love the grill you guys designed. Guess if I was full time over landing I'd be interested in something like that.
But I'm with the other guys, I'll fabricate my own grate or just stick the steak or dog on a stick and roast it, or bring some freeze dried meals and a pot for hot water. I shoot for a more minimalist camping experience most of the time.

Back