• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

Tacoma3G is a beginner-friendly 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma (2016-2023 model-years) forum. We are a community of people who are focused on good information and good vibes. T3G is the passion-project of a USMC/Toyota technician.

Timbrens Off road bump stop

2023TxTaco

2️⃣ Bronze
I use my Tacoma on washed out gravel roads quite a bit as well as haul a a single axle with maybe 300-400lbs tongue weight at times or have 400-600lbs in the bed at times. The rear drops quite a bit, usually over 2". The truck is a 23' Sport with the 4 leaf rear. I talked to ETrailer and Timbren and the I ordered the TABSOSR offroad stops from ETrailer. I'm now second guessing them. Timbren lists them at 2,000lbs at 50% compression and 4,800lbs at Max compression. Timbren customer service said, yes, they will help a little with extra weight. ETrailer said they are not load bearing and only help from hard hits over rough terrain.
I wish they had one that was between the SES and Offroad stops.
I have the SES severe service Kit on the front and rear of my F450 Ford and it works excellent for that truck.
I just want a little extra help from the Timbrens. Did I screw up? Do I really need the SES set for my use?

If you're looking for bump stops that specifically help when the bed is weighed down, the Sumo Springs are a good option. They can be stiff when you don't have weight though. The Timbren's are a big step up from the stock bump stop, but I don't know if they're designed to support extra weight in the same way as say, an airbag would. Depending on how often the truck is loaded up, you might want to look into airbags or swap those out for the Sumo's. I would probably upgrade the rear shocks to something like a Bilstein 5160 as well if you are loading the bed down a bunch, that should help with the damping also. These trucks aren't really comparable to the F450. FWIW I run the Archive Garage rear bump stop kit (one the best kits on the market IMO), but I do not need any extra support for weighing the bed down.

Last edited:
I was look for a bumpstop like the Timbrens active offoad series but with a little additional weight leveling ability. It does not seem they offer one. Although, on their page's Q&A one of their reps suggested this kit for load leveling a Tundra pulling a 6,500lb camper, so it must provide some. Anyone run the Active offroad stops haul weight, how do they work?

Back