• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Throttle Body Spacers - Conclusion

bonifacio

8️⃣ Paragon
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Website
www.bracestraps.com
2019 TRD OR
Cement
Wanted to share my findings for anyone considering a TBS for a 3G Tacoma. It's been a while since I bought something for the truck. So I was looking around for something. Thought a throttle body spacer might be an upgrade. I'm a realist. I have to see facts or evidence to support something.

TBS supposedly adds some volume and creates a vortex to assist in air/fuel mixture. Ricer wording on websites like it gives performance gains.

Everything I've come across was either:

Improved throttle response and it made a drastic difference.
or
Total waste of money. In theory sounds good and works for carbureted engines.

I'm still thinking, but it's another mod for the list. It's aluminum. I could add some more contrasting red anodized stuff under the hood!
Now trying to justify it to have some benefits.

Findings:
Makes a whistling sound. Some think it's cool.
2GR-FKS Engine has ACIS. Click Info Sheet for more information. It's already optimized from factory.
Searched for dyno sheets. Manufacturer sites show +6-10 hp and torque gains. They will always advertise improvement at optimal conditions to show higher numbers.
Individual dyno tests show a range of power loss down to -10hp and +1-2 hp/torque gains. Factor in the margin of error (temperature conditions), there is no proof it adds any benefit.

Conclusion:

Buy 1.85 tanks of gas.

Very funny. Sounds like a fun journey to figure all that out.

If this product did what it says? And really that great? Everyone would be adding a TBS.
Even the manufacturers would be offering this. If it was a great performance product, every aftermarket companies would be selling there version of a TBS.

Got to ask yourself why this is not a popular mod? “Caveat Emptor”. Let the buyer beware!

I have one. Can’t say if it gained power or lost. My truck is an auto. Driving roads I drive everyday to work I can say for sure it holds 6th gear better on the freeway and hasn’t been so quick to downshift. I’m always skeptical of this kind of stuff myself. It wasn’t that much and I think it more than paid for itself in how it improved drivability.

I have one. Can’t say if it gained power or lost. My truck is an auto. Driving roads I drive everyday to work I can say for sure it holds 6th gear better on the freeway and hasn’t been so quick to downshift. I’m always skeptical of this kind of stuff myself. It wasn’t that much and I think it more than paid for itself in how it improved drivability.
How long did you have the truck before adding the spacer?

To gain true HP , better gas mileage? Remove as much weight out of your truck, spare tire, tools ,rear seats, maybe passenger seat too.. lighten your truck. Smaller ,skinny tires. Easy thing to do …Haha.

We brought our Tacoma to take us home and for off roading for those who do go off roads. Adding any aftermarket parts will destroy HP and gas mileage. Well most aftermarket parts.

To gain true HP , better gas mileage? Remove as much weight out of your truck, spare tire, tools ,rear seats, maybe passenger seat too.. lighten your truck. Smaller ,skinny tires. Easy thing to do …Haha.

We brought our Tacoma to take us home and for off roading for those who do go off roads. Adding any aftermarket parts will destroy HP and gas mileage. Well most aftermarket parts.

Won't give HP. ;) Might just feel like it if you remove enough weight. But it would have to be a significant amount to notice anything.

Around 14 months.

I was gonna say if it was early on, it could the the self learning throttle type thing. Maybe seeing it changing how the air goes in, could shift the power curve.

I can’t say it gave any power or mpg gains. I can say for sure it helped with drivability.

I drive under 3500 rpm 98% of the time. The small nuances of the light throttle areas are where I pay attention.

I can’t say it gave any power or mpg gains. I can say for sure it helped with drivability.

I drive under 3500 rpm 98% of the time. The small nuances of the light throttle areas are where I pay attention.
Just get the truck dynoed.
Then dyno it again next day without it.

Let us know. K. Thanks. :)

Where should I send the bill? 😂🤣

I doubt it added any hp. It's a little mod, I got my 80 bucks out of if (or whatever it cost) haha.

I have a '23 Tacoma SR V6 auto, and picked up a AFE TBS along with a K&N intake upgrade. I won't call it a cold air intake or short ram cause the kit is just a higher flow filter that replaced the OEM one and comes with a replacement tube, essentially turning it into a TRD intake, in my opinion.
Was going to put the TBS on with the intake upgrade but the new intake tube won't fit with the TBS on, which I foresaw. From what I'm reading here, it's probably best to just return the TBS, rather than cutting the length of the tube to accommodate the TBS.

Back