• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Thoughts on wedge / pop-up camper vs shell

Trucker2000

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
I currently have DCSB Tacoma with a diamondback tonneau cover. I am considering replacing this set up with a gfc camper to provide additional utility for camping but still allow me to use the bed for truck stuff. The main issue holding me back is the cost compared to having a shell, e.g. leer or snugtop shell and just building out a bed platform to sleep diagonally. The truck is my daily driver but don’t use it for work. Has anyone made the switch to a pop-up camper from a shell?

I have a shell and want a wedge camper. I prefer the Superpacific for the exped mattress, and one latch opening doors. They are expensive. But if you are getting a high end shell and a high end wedge tent, then it's comparable. Sort of.

-M

With the right tools and an unhealthy ammount of patience, you can build your own!
DSC_0293 (1).jpg

We have the cap/hardshell rtt setup. We’re weekend warriors at best and so for our purposes, it’s nice to be able to remove the tent, still have the rack for other items/gear, and to have a little less wind resistance.

For what it’s worth, in the past we did try doing the diagonal sleep in the short bed but my wife and I are both 5’10” and it’s really cramped back there unless it’s a solo trip.

All that being said, if the parking garage clearance was 2 inches taller at work, we had more public lands in New England, and I hadn’t already spent money on a cap and tent along the way—pop up camper is where I’d go :)

Back