• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

The "Unemployed" College Kid's Build

949yota

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
Hey y'all, I am new to the forum and figured I would share my current build and some progress pics for future projects. Feel free to post whatever you like below: positive input, negative input, questions, etc...
As a college student, I will be posting my build and cheap ways to upgrade your rig as well.

To start, I bought a 2018 SR5 2WD right after high school because my first car broke down on me several times. I did not purchase any mods on the truck but I was planning on saving up for a cheap mid travel setup with some 33's . After about a year or so it got totaled (there are some pictures down below if you wanna check it out). A couple weeks later, I purchased a 2019 Offroad and decided to start building that as that was my dream truck.

Attachments

• tempImage8fvZhD.png
    tempImage8fvZhD.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 81
  • tempImageWgEBS4.png
    tempImageWgEBS4.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 92
  • tempImageRVVOwt.png
    tempImageRVVOwt.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 81
  • tempImageO5AST6.png
    tempImageO5AST6.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 88
  • 79A34FDF-1AD9-493B-BC21-B837DDFE0B28.jpeg
    79A34FDF-1AD9-493B-BC21-B837DDFE0B28.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 74
  • tempImagevE1fSP.png
    tempImagevE1fSP.png
    4 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I dont have any pictures of when I got the truck off the lot, but it was a normal stock Offroad. About a month or so later I bought the pro grille and a Prinsu rack with the intentions of putting a light bar on it.

Attachments

• tempImagegSGUS5.png
    tempImagegSGUS5.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 79
The lights came in and I immediately installed them. I got a 40in Cali Raised light bar, Heretic Studios' pod lights for the hood, and the "raptor lights" just for the aesthetics

Attachments

• tempImageusik5V.png
    tempImageusik5V.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3516 2.JPG
    IMG_3516 2.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 75
The next mod was the Tacomabeast tail lights. I dont have any pictures of them, but I replaced them after about 3 months or so. During a trail run with some buddies, the driver's side one went out and some water leaked inside the tail light so I had to switch them back to the OEM ones.

Towards the end of last year, I installed the TacomaBeast headlights and went on my first ACTUAL camping trip with my roommate and his dad in Johnson Valley. It was a good time to see how well the stock Offroad's can handle a rough terrain and tight trails and it held up extremely well.

Attachments

• tempImage27NSl4.png
    tempImage27NSl4.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4093.JPG
    IMG_4093.JPG
    842.3 KB · Views: 69
  • tempImageNpwKUm.png
    tempImageNpwKUm.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 79
  • tempImage3Fk5Iq.png
    tempImage3Fk5Iq.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 73
A year later, I have been saving up to gut out the whole suspension. I decided to long travel the tacoma just because I knew I would want to eventually and it felt like the right time to do it. I picked up my McNeil Fiberglass about a week ago and I am waiting on Archive Garage's Shock Relocation Kit and the Hammer Hangers with the cross tube. Although I do believe the "time is right" to long travel it, I also know I cannot fully commit to long traveling the whole truck but I still want to make it as capable as possible without the extra maintenance required.

She will be going under the knife in a few weeks or so. Even though I will be back at school, I will try and post some progress pictures to show how she looks during the process.

Attachments

• IMG_5742.JPG
    IMG_5742.JPG
    264.3 KB · Views: 73
Hello and welcome to Tacoma3g!

Love seeing what your doing with this truck. It’s gonna be sweet when you get it all together.

Keep on making progress and posting it!

Hello and welcome to Tacoma3g!

Love seeing what your doing with this truck. It’s gonna be sweet when you get it all together.

Keep on making progress and posting it!
Thank you I appreciate it !! Your rig looks awesome have any future plans for it? I see youre missing some bedsides on some of your recent photos:unsure:

Thank you I appreciate it !! Your rig looks awesome have any future plans for it? I see youre missing some bedsides on some of your recent photos:unsure:

I do. Sas is starting in the spring time and eventually I’ll finish the bed lol. I built the bed a while back and never got around to finishing it the way had wanted. Needs boxes on the sides for gear, sheet metal to make the wheel well, spare tire carrier and rack. All waiting for me to build them lol, just haven’t had the time. I also have to wait, as I will be relocating the tank to the bed, so I need enough room to fit a fuel cell back there.

I do. Sas is starting in the spring time and eventually I’ll finish the bed lol. I built the bed a while back and never got around to finishing it the way had wanted. Needs boxes on the sides for gear, sheet metal to make the wheel well, spare tire carrier and rack. All waiting for me to build them lol, just haven’t had the time. I also have to wait, as I will be relocating the tank to the bed, so I need enough room to fit a fuel cell back there.
Damn that sounds like it's gonna turn out really sweet I cant wait to see how it turns out. Im surprised you opted to do it on a 3rd gen instead of a 2nd gen Ive never seen anyone build their bed from scratch. Im assuming you didnt intend to do it intentionally when you got the truck lol. Thats awesome though hopefully you can get it finished soon.

Damn that sounds like it's gonna turn out really sweet I cant wait to see how it turns out. Im surprised you opted to do it on a 3rd gen instead of a 2nd gen Ive never seen anyone build their bed from scratch. Im assuming you didnt intend to do it intentionally when you got the truck lol. Thats awesome though hopefully you can get it finished soon.

I actually had an idea of how I wanted the truck when I bought it. It was a flat bed at that time, just not doable with the tire size and low cog I wanted.

Back