The ECT PWR Button (How you use it?)

• ⚙️ 3rd & 4th Gen Toyota Tacomas | Tacoma3G

🌮 Tacoma3G.com is an online resource and community for 2016+ Toyota Tacoma owners.

👤 Registration is completely free and only takes a few seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig on the forum!

♥️ Beginner friendly. Tight-knit. No ads. The raddest. Read more about us...

Romp-A-Taco

✓ • Diamond
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Color
Silver Sky
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#2,373
Since getting my Tacoma, one of the mysteries and probably the most understood feature in the truck is the ECT PWR button. It stands for Electronically Controlled Transmission. Apparently pressing this button adjusts the shift points giving higher RPMs before shifting into the next gear, providing more response when pressing the throttle. I found a good blog post here about the details of it's workings: http://www.whiterivertoyota.com/blog/benefits-of-the-toyota-tacoma-ect-pwr-button/ and according to the user manual, it says it should be used when high levels of response are desired like driving in mountains or towing a trailer.

I wanted to see how the community here uses the ECT PWR and if they find it useful off-roading?

Personally, I have been testing it when I get into hill climbs on mountain roads. I can feel a slight increased throttle response. I find that when driving down hills on mountain roads, and in an automatic drive (not sure if it exists on manual), using the down shift to control engine breaking the ECT PWR improves engine breaking which is nice. I've also used it for passing diesels on two lane highways which seems to be useful.

I have yet to engage the ECT while on off-road trails. Any insights on if it should be used while in 4lo or 4 high?

Tyler

✓ • Mythical
Badministrator
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
I think you have a pretty good understanding of what it is.

Using it almost comes down to personal preference. I used to use it a lot before I got @OVTune. It worked great for highway merging or passing and hilly roads. The difference is very noticeable and if low end acceleration is something you desire, you can definitely get it with the button.

For short trips in town, it is almost too much. Off-road, it’s the opposite of what you’d want for getting over obstacles. Perhaps if you are racing through the desert or hard dirt roads it could be fun.

Romp-A-Taco

✓ • Diamond
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Color
Silver Sky
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#2,373
@Tyler Nice. Yeah I did some research, but thought it would be cool to have a thread here for other users. I've seen some videos and other comments online where it's obvious people have no idea how to use it and what it's for.

Malcolm

✓ • Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
Its great when im in hill climbs, or driving through mountains where grades change often. Other than that i dont really use it unless trying to get somewhere on the highway a little quicker. It is a great feature though.

Tyler

✓ • Mythical
Badministrator
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
@Tyler Nice. Yeah I did some research, but thought it would be cool to have a thread here for other users. I've seen some videos and other comments online where it's obvious people have no idea how to use it and what it's for.
Oh, of course. It is a great thread and I’m glad you made it.