• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

The ECT PWR Button (How you use it?)

Romp-A-Taco

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Website
legendary-fish.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Silver Sky
Since getting my Tacoma, one of the mysteries and probably the most understood feature in the truck is the ECT PWR button. It stands for Electronically Controlled Transmission. Apparently pressing this button adjusts the shift points giving higher RPMs before shifting into the next gear, providing more response when pressing the throttle. I found a good blog post here about the details of it's workings: http://www.whiterivertoyota.com/blog/benefits-of-the-toyota-tacoma-ect-pwr-button/ and according to the user manual, it says it should be used when high levels of response are desired like driving in mountains or towing a trailer.

I wanted to see how the community here uses the ECT PWR and if they find it useful off-roading?

Personally, I have been testing it when I get into hill climbs on mountain roads. I can feel a slight increased throttle response. I find that when driving down hills on mountain roads, and in an automatic drive (not sure if it exists on manual), using the down shift to control engine breaking the ECT PWR improves engine breaking which is nice. I've also used it for passing diesels on two lane highways which seems to be useful.

I have yet to engage the ECT while on off-road trails. Any insights on if it should be used while in 4lo or 4 high?

I think you have a pretty good understanding of what it is.

Using it almost comes down to personal preference. I used to use it a lot before I got @OVTune. It worked great for highway merging or passing and hilly roads. The difference is very noticeable and if low end acceleration is something you desire, you can definitely get it with the button.

For short trips in town, it is almost too much. Off-road, it’s the opposite of what you’d want for getting over obstacles. Perhaps if you are racing through the desert or hard dirt roads it could be fun.

@Tyler Nice. Yeah I did some research, but thought it would be cool to have a thread here for other users. I've seen some videos and other comments online where it's obvious people have no idea how to use it and what it's for.

Its great when im in hill climbs, or driving through mountains where grades change often. Other than that i dont really use it unless trying to get somewhere on the highway a little quicker. It is a great feature though.

@Tyler Nice. Yeah I did some research, but thought it would be cool to have a thread here for other users. I've seen some videos and other comments online where it's obvious people have no idea how to use it and what it's for.
Oh, of course. It is a great thread and I’m glad you made it.

I think you have a pretty good understanding of what it is.

Using it almost comes down to personal preference. I used to use it a lot before I got @OVTune. It worked great for highway merging or passing and hilly roads. The difference is very noticeable and if low end acceleration is something you desire, you can definitely get it with the button.

For short trips in town, it is almost too much. Off-road, it’s the opposite of what you’d want for getting over obstacles. Perhaps if you are racing through the desert or hard dirt roads it could be fun.
would the ECT be enough to deal with muddy inclines?

I don’t often use the ECT button ….it does seem to improve the up hill driving …little bit more power..
Glad you mention it also works for downhills, engine braking…. Something we must all try…
I live on a mountain side (Hualalai mountain) lots of hills …
Thank you for sharing…!
Aloha

would the ECT be enough to deal with muddy inclines?
I don’t think it would noticeably help but it’s possible.

Use the manual shifter to put your truck in 1st/2nd gear. In 2nd, you’ll probably notice the difference you’re looking for.

Last edited:
Having a manual, drop gear and disappear!

In all seriousness, it is interesting to read about it!

Having a manual, drop gear and disappear!

In all seriousness, it is interesting to read about it!
I wish I had one. No long bed option.

BUT

Side note for those with an automatic that don’t already know to do this: Use the sport shifter (is that what it’s called?) when off roading. Use it to keep your truck in 1st or 2nd gear — 2nd gear when in the mud especially.

It also helps to use this to shift to 1st/2nd gear when going down steep inclines. Sometimes you won’t even need to touch the brake if you gear down.

Love ECT both before and after tuning. Wish MESO still made his ECT Always On Modules.

I wish I had one. No long bed option.

BUT

Side note for those with an automatic that don’t already know to do this: Use the sport shifter (is that what it’s called?) when off roading. Use it to keep your truck in 1st or 2nd gear — 2nd gear when in the mud especially.

It also helps to use this to shift to 1st/2nd gear when going down steep inclines. Sometimes you won’t even need to touch the brake if you gear down.
That's how I use it. Minimal braking going down hills. I also use the ECT in conjunction. Works really well.

Back