• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Test Drove 2020 DCSB TRD Sport 6MT

MikeD

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I test drove a Cement colored 2020 DCSB TRD Sport 6MT today that I really liked. It had all the options I'm looking for including Premium, LED headlights, and Advanced Tech Package with the Panoramic View Monitor. I was a bit dissapointed with the picture quality of the Panoramic View Monitor but it seemed to work decently enough. I'm coming from a smaller vehicle so having it as a parking aid seems potentially really useful. I've had a ton of difficulty finding MT Tacoma's in stock in the Seattle area that have the Advanced Tech Package. I've only see it once on a TRD Off Road and this is the first time I've seen it on the TRD Sport.

I really like the idea of having a locking rear differential but I don't have any immediate plans to do offroading beyond getting to trail heads and some fire roads. My main immediate goal is a 4WD vehicle that gets me to ski areas. A Subaru would be ideal for that immediate task, but I like sitting high in a truck, driving a MT, having the option of using the bed, towing, and I'll be honest some vanity. One feature the TRD Sport has that the TRD Off Road does not is hill start assist which holds the brakes briefly after you push in the clutch. In hilly Seattle this has been really helpful in my current manual vehicle.

I stopped to pick up some groceries on the way home and mentioned to the clerk I had spent the day test driving Tacoma and Ranger and that I was looking at a TRD Sport and he immediately was dismissive and said you'd be an idiot to not by the TRD Off Road as the rear locker is a must have. He then went on to describe his Tundra he has modified for overlanding. This got me thinking, even if I don't need a rear locker, am I going to be regularly pelted with questions in this attitude if I buy a TRD Sport?

I have some questions I was hoping some forum members might be able to help with

1) If I don't have plans for serious offroading, should I worry about giving up the rear locker?
2) If I buy a TRD Sport am I going to have to constantly deal with questions like "why didn't you buy a TRD Off Road?"?
3) Does anyone who has Panoramic View Monitor or Multi Terrain Monitor have thoughts on its usefulness?
4) Does the TRD Sport depreciate faster than a TRD Off Road?
5) Does anyone who has the Toyo A30 Open Country tires driven in wintry mountain pass conditions on them?

Thanks!

Last edited:
1) If I don't have plans for serious offroading, should I worry about giving up the rear locker?
The rear locker is very useful for off-roading. But if you know you have no plans for that, no you don't need to worry about not having one. If you ever change your mind in the future -- you don't need to regret not having one -- you can install an aftermarket one for around $1200.
2) If I buy a TRD Sport am I going to have to constantly deal with questions like "why didn't you buy a TRD Off Road?"?
Absolutely not. Anyone that would say that is an idiot, IMO. It's not their business at all and it's just a pointless argument in general. You shouldn't worry about what other people might think of your truck and the 4wd in the Sport, without the locker, is capable enough for almost any situation you'd be in as someone who doesn't plan to intentionally off-road.
3) Does anyone who has Panoramic View Monitor or Multi Terrain Monitor have thoughts on its usefulness?
I have no experience with this, sorry.
4) Does the TRD Sport depreciate faster than a TRD Off Road?
As far as I am aware, no it does not. I believe the value is in having 4wd in general and not necessarily the locker.
5) Does anyone who has the Toyo A30 Open Country tires driven in wintry mountain pass conditions on them?
I don't have experience with these tires, sorry.

Hope I helped at least a little bit.

One feature the TRD Sport has that the TRD Off Road does not is hill start assist which holds the brakes briefly after you push in the clutch. In hilly Seattle this has been really helpful in my current manual vehicle.
that's what the e-brake is for:)

that's what the e-brake is for:)

My first car was a five speed manual without hill assist and I got along ago OK living in a relatively flat area. The car after that was a manual that has hill start assist (unknown to me at the time of purchase) and I quickly learned to love the feature. Then I moved to Seattle which is much more hilly. Using the e-brake is better than nothing but I imagine that hill start assist extends the life of a clutch even for an experienced manual driver.

Edited: grammar and spelling

Last edited:
My first car was a five speed manual without hill assist and I got along ago living in a relatively flat area. The car after that was a manual that has hill start assist unknown to me at the time of purchase and I quickly learned to love the feature. Then I moved to Seattle which is much more hilly. Using the e-brake is better than nothing but I imagine I have to think that hill start assist extends the life of a clutch even for an experienced manual driver.
From what I've heard about the hill start assist, it is very useful, especially somewhere that you'll always be on hills like Seattle. Since you are learning toward the Sport anyway, I'd say that's all the more reason to go with your gut.

Back