• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Techstream setting reverted to default

Mike Z

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I had the dealer set 'Outside Air Mode Auto Switch Function' to OFF (default is ON) so the Recirculate door would stay closed instead of opening back up to outside air 1 minute after shutting the ignition off. The setting held for several months and now when I turn the key to ON (Recirculate light was ON when shut off) I hear the door closing again like it is back to the default setting. The battery was not disconnected or anything like that. It's only gone about 1300 miles since it was set.

Is this a common problem? I don't want mice in the airbox or eating the wires.

Also, does anyone know if you can set the instrument cluster backlight to be on during the day without the headlights being on in Techstream?

I didn't know the ac open\close option was a setting but I might have to mess with that on mine (I have techstream)

There is no setting to have the dash backlight on without turning the lights on on these trucks though; nor have I seen any posts about modifying the board to be lit all the time. I have seen MANY complaints about it though and many wish it could be enabled at all times (myself included).

Upvote 0
Where can you get Techstream or is it something you have to have an expensive subscription for?

I saw something called Carista that is supposed to do most of the settings that Techstream can do but for a lot less money but don't know anyone who has used it.

Upvote 0
You can dl a hacked version for free on the web, but you will need a USB to OBD2 cable as well. I already had one from my vf tuner software that works fine with it. There's not as many settings to change as you'd think though, the main useful one is disabling seat belt chimes.

Upvote 0
Back