• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tailgate Plate Bolts - Flush or not?

Asmara

3️⃣ Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
I removed my tailgate plate and installed a power tailgate lock. When I put everything together, I noticed that the bolts in the picture had a smooth part on the shaft and that this part was wider than the hole in the plastic on the tailgate plate. This causes the bolts to be raised off the tailgate plate a bit. I thought maybe this was intentional and there was something you could hook on the bolts.

I just saw a friend's 3rd gen and his bolts were flush.

Are they supposed to be flush or raised?
tailgate bolts.jpg

I like the format and smaller community here so I always post something here before I head over to Tacoma World. Since I didn't get a response after a couple of days, I posted the same thing at Tacoma World and got a solution.

My mistake was that I reassembled the plastic wrong. The inner piece belongs under the top piece. I figured I would reply here in case somebody else makes the same mistake.

Upvote 0
Back