• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tacoma 2019 4x4 TRD OFF-ROAD WONT START!

agethegeminii

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Midnight Black
I just got my sliders and CMC install at beastfab SoCal in San Bernardino. After it was completed, my car didn’t want to turn on. My battery was unplugged so the guy could weld. It was unplugged for 3 hrs. Once we replugged it, my truck was still getting power. All lights and everything was working, my smart key fob also has a good battery in it. My truck only has 13k miles so it’s basically brand new still. My car was working perfectly until just now. When we turn it on we hear a click but for some reason there’s no cranking or anything. I reviewed my owners manual and still nothing. Also, I’m not getting any codes. What could it be and has anyone ever had this issue? I’m gonna leave my truck here for the night and hopefully the Redlands Toyota service can help me out.

- Adrian

Did you try jump starting it? Sounds dead to me somehow

We did and still nothing. I right now I’m just worrying about it while it’s left at the shop. I’m gonna head there early morning and see what road side assistance can do. If not should I just get it towed to Redlands Toyota to see if they can check it out. My
Truck is still under warranty too.

Last edited:
*****Update*****
I’m gonna buy a new battery to see if this simple fix will start. But it’s weird because my car is still getting power and all the lights are working.

*****Update*****
I’m gonna buy a new battery to see if this simple fix will start. But it’s weird because my car is still getting power and all the lights are working.
If it’s under warranty, wouldn’t hurt to let Toyota check it out. Check fuses?

If it’s under warranty, wouldn’t hurt to let Toyota check it out. Check fuses?

Had an electrician check it out and he gave power straight to my ignition and it turned on. But if I turn it off it won’t turn on. I’m at Toyota Kearny Mesa, and they charging me 152 to leave it until Monday to get it checked out and if their tech wants to run a full electrical run then it will be $450. So I left and went to El Cajon Toyota and they took my car right away.

Before all this, I was stranded at beastfab shop in San Bernardino. The person who installed my CMC and sliders, had his electrician fix the issue. He basically used my battery and jump start the ignition part of my car to give it power, after that it turned on. But if I were to turn it off it then wouldn’t turn on unless it you use that jumpstart thing (I’m not an electrician or mechanic, so it might sound dumb when I explain it. But the electrician put it in lamest terms so I could understand lol)
So now I’m eating at El Cajon, while they check it out. They literally just took my car right away, and I’m glad they are being really helpful compared to Kearny Mesa. Kearny Mesa was also the place I got my truck.

-Adrian

Had an electrician check it out and he gave power straight to my ignition and it turned on. But if I turn it off it won’t turn on. I’m at Toyota Kearny Mesa, and they charging me 152 to leave it until Monday to get it checked out and if their tech wants to run a full electrical run then it will be $450. So I left and went to El Cajon Toyota and they took my car right away.

Before all this, I was stranded at beastfab shop in San Bernardino. The person who installed my CMC and sliders, had his electrician fix the issue. He basically used my battery and jump start the ignition part of my car to give it power, after that it turned on. But if I were to turn it off it then wouldn’t turn on unless it you use that jumpstart thing (I’m not an electrician or mechanic, so it might sound dumb when I explain it. But the electrician put it in lamest terms so I could understand lol)
So now I’m eating at El Cajon, while they check it out. They literally just took my car right away, and I’m glad they are being really helpful compared to Kearny Mesa. Kearny Mesa was also the place I got my truck.

-Adrian

Battery, fuses or something along those lines.

There is a wiring harness that runs right on the frame by the drivers side body mount that could possibly have gotten damaged (slag, heat, etc) from welding or cutting on the cmc. I’m spit balling here but it could have messed up a wire in that harness.

When I did my cmc I put a heat shield in front of that wiring harness just in case.

Let us know how it goes

Unfortunately my dealership is a pain as well, when I would go in for service so I started going to another one due to the excellent customer service.

-Adrian
Well hopefully they get it fixed. You shouldn’t have to pay for anything with a full warranty. But yeah sadly there are some shitty dealerships out there

There is a wiring harness that runs right on the frame by the drivers side body mount that could possibly have gotten damaged (slag, heat, etc) from welding or cutting on the cmc. I’m spit balling here but it could have messed up a wire in that harness.

When I did my cmc I put a heat shield in front of that wiring harness just in case.

Let us know how it goes

Unfortunately my dealership is a pain as well, when I would go in for service so I started going to another one due to the excellent customer service.

I know what you mean, I see the wiring harness on the driver side so I hope it’s not damage and if it is it will get replaced. I just looked at it and it looks fine because of the tubing around it but I hope it‘a not fried or heated.

as of right now, I have to leave my car here because their alarm tech won’t be here until Monday. So they are thinking it’s a security issue. So I won’t be updated until next week about the truck.

Well hopefully they get it fixed. You shouldn’t have to pay for anything with a full warranty. But yeah sadly there are some shitty dealerships out there

As of right now I’m not paying for anything which is good. But they are just telling me modifications could also be the issue.
The only wirings that we’re added was Baja designs fob lights and Baja ditch lights. Everything else is just bilstein suspension, wheels & tires, and total chaos UCA’s

As of right now I’m not paying for anything which is good. But they are just telling me modifications could also be the issue.
The only wirings that we’re added was Baja designs fob lights and Baja ditch lights. Everything else is just bilstein suspension, wheels & tires, and total chaos UCA’s
I have the same Baja lights and a Switch-Pros installed. That shouldn’t be the issue

I know what you mean, I see the wiring harness on the driver side so I hope it’s not damage and if it is it will get replaced. I just looked at it and it looks fine because of the tubing around it but I hope it‘a not fried or heated.

as of right now, I have to leave my car here because their alarm tech won’t be here until Monday. So they are thinking it’s a security issue. So I won’t be updated until next week about the truck.

Yeah I did not think of that. Any lights on the dash flash when trying to start it?

Yeah I did not think of that. Any lights on the dash flash when trying to start it?

Nothing lighting up and no codes. It’s now alone at the dealer and won’t be checked up until Monday. I hope it will really be an security issue. They’re gonna have the alarm tech to put it to factory, because the service manage said it looks like a south west alarm security.

Let us know how it goes

I see that wiring harness, but do you know that purpose of that wiring harness? Toyota thinks it will be a security issue, but this one electrician used this tool that connects from the battery and gave power to my starter and then when he told me to start the truck, it started perfectly fine. Is that wiring harness related to my starter because if so then it’s not getting power. As of right now, Toyota doesn’t know I had a CMC and I just told then my car has been acting up with start issues. Tomorrow they will update me on the issues since their techs will be back at work.

just want to say thanks guys for providing your inputs.

I see that wiring harness, but do you know that purpose of that wiring harness? Toyota thinks it will be a security issue, but this one electrician used this tool that connects from the battery and gave power to my starter and then when he told me to start the truck, it started perfectly fine. Is that wiring harness related to my starter because if so then it’s not getting power. As of right now, Toyota doesn’t know I had a CMC and I just told then my car has been acting up with start issues. Tomorrow they will update me on the issues since their techs will be back at work.

just want to say thanks guys for providing your inputs.

I am not 100% sure where that harness all goes too. I’m pretty sure it branches off and it runs inside the frame.

Hopefully they can fix it up pretty easily for ya

*****UPDATE*****
GOOOD NEWS!!!

Truck is back in business. I’ll be picking her up Thursday since I have duty for 3 days straight (Active Duty in the Navy). Anyways, Kearny Mesa Toyota has an aftermarket security alarm and the alarm tech from El Cajon removed it and put it to factory. After that, the car started perfectly. Paid $0. I’m glad I didn’t turn my car off once I pulled in Kearny Mesa Toyota, because I would have paid $152 to keep it there until Monday and I bet their “techs” would recommend a electrical run through for $450 and charge me for more. They also saw my ditch lights and said that it may be a defect of why my car wouldn’t turn on. Kearny Mesa Toyota is BS. So out of all the toyota dealerships in SD, go to El Cajon. Service is spot on and they will do whatever it takes to help you out.

*****UPDATE*****
GOOOD NEWS!!!

Truck is back in business. I’ll be picking her up Thursday since I have duty for 3 days straight (Active Duty in the Navy). Anyways, Kearny Mesa Toyota has an aftermarket security alarm and the alarm tech from El Cajon removed it and put it to factory. After that, the car started perfectly. Paid $0. I’m glad I didn’t turn my car off once I pulled in Kearny Mesa Toyota, because I would have paid $152 to keep it there until Monday and I bet their “techs” would recommend a electrical run through for $450 and charge me for more. They also saw my ditch lights and said that it may be a defect of why my car wouldn’t turn on. Kearny Mesa Toyota is BS. So out of all the toyota dealerships in SD, go to El Cajon. Service is spot on and they will do whatever it takes to help you out.
Nice good to hear. They’re crazy if they think some ditch lights are what’s causing it to not start lol. Anyway glad it’s fixed

I am having the same issue. The battery is at 12.58v. Recently, Following a failed start (which causes a single click when pressing the start button) I decided to exit the truck and heard a single loud click coming from under the truck. I got back in and the truck started. This is an intermittent issue as most of the time it starts normally. Is that 2nd-click related? Anyone heard another success story?

The issue initially appeared following
1. Crossing the Verde River 2’ deep
2. Arced my Auxbeam Switch and blew the 60a inline fuse
3. Removed the trim panel surrounding the auto shift lever

I took it to Bell RD Toyota. They said it was a very low Fob battery. I replaced it. They said good to go, nope. They also said the Neutral Safety Switch is “discontinued”? Whhhhaaaat? Manufacturers are supposed to supply parts for 8 years after vehicle manufacture! Unless there is a TSB with a workaround or alternate part number. I have read it could be faulty brake sensors. There are quite a few of us with this issue.

Sleepless in AZ! Lol - Glad you got your truck running.

Glad to hear it worked out, alarm systems can be a pain. There should be a reset switch up under the dash on the alarm control module for situations like that.

My truck has the same issue, not the battery either

Last edited:
I just got my sliders and CMC install at beastfab SoCal in San Bernardino. After it was completed, my car didn’t want to turn on. My battery was unplugged so the guy could weld. It was unplugged for 3 hrs. Once we replugged it, my truck was still getting power. All lights and everything was working, my smart key fob also has a good battery in it. My truck only has 13k miles so it’s basically brand new still. My car was working perfectly until just now. When we turn it on we hear a click but for some reason there’s no cranking or anything. I reviewed my owners manual and still nothing. Also, I’m not getting any codes. What could it be and has anyone ever had this issue? I’m gonna leave my truck here for the night and hopefully the Redlands Toyota service can help me out.

- Adrian
Have you tried turning it on?

Back