• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Suspension & Needs, for Four Wheel Pop Up Camper.

Souperduper

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
White
Need advice on all suspension and related needs AND suggestions on quality install shops in So Cal.

So I'm in the planning stages of preparing my 17 tacoma (trd off road dclb w/tow package) to receive a four wheel pop up camper (ordering in next 2 weeks so my wife, daughter and I can soon/regularly escape to the Sierras). I've upgraded nothing on tacoma other than hood struts.

So here's the problem. Camper w/gear will equate to a 2100ish pound payload on what is a 1600ish payload truck. That could be a bad thing if I build the truck out wrong.

Here's what I know at a minimum, I will upgrade gears to nitro 4.88 and to load e tires (staying with stock size but going to bfg ko2's which I already have in the garage). The camper will be used multiple times a year on all sorts of terrain but nothing outrageous. But I have commitments and can't escape forever, so the truck will be a daily driver 75% of time (no camper loaded on it) on paved roads.

With all that said, I'm not sure where to go next on upgrades to provide a safe and enjoyable/comfortable drive, with the camper on and with it off (I don't want a back breaking drive when it's not under constant load).

Can you all weigh in and suggest needs? Pretend I know nothing and am willing to invest properly. Or point me to a resource that can spell it out for me? If I'm asking too much, np and I apologize and I'll move on. If not asking too much, read on.

Here's what I've considered doing thus far but not sure if its the right way to go, OR if something is missing OR if you all advise otherwise:
  • Know I want 4.88 gears (in addition I have also considered orange virus tuning but on the fence).
  • Know I'll stick with stock size 265/70/16 bfg ko2's.
  • In rear: air bags? or sumo springs? or hydraulic bump stops? (not sure which or if something else?)
  • Up front: better more progressive bump stops or? Again just not sure which to buy.
  • I believe I want full old man emu bp51 kit with either added leafs or full heavy/constant load leafs. If full heavy leafs, not sure which or from whom? I do know I want to lift as minimal as possible which I believe is 10 mm or something like that w/bp-51 alone but not sure if the leafs will allow such a minimal lift? Basically, w/stock tire size I want a functional lift to support the load but I don't want a big lift on what may appear to be small stock tires.
  • Not sure if I need to do control arms and if so if it should be upper and lower and which? My gut tells me uppers and to go with the old man emu.
  • New brake lines? Do other things need extending/replacement?
  • Upgrade brakes and if so which and to what?
  • I believe I should add bed stiffeners but not sure which?
  • I lean towards onboard air from arb.
  • I lean towards dual batteries.
  • I don't want to cut, chop, weld.
  • Im not going crazy off-road or space odyssey over landing, so don't need armor or the added weight.
  • Other items I should consider ?

As you can see I'm considering doing all that's needed. I'm not rich but I don't waste and I save my pennies and so am able/ready to do it all in one shot. I just don't want to under or over do it. I just want to do it right and do it once (by March 2020 since camper will come in May 2020). I kept my last truck for 20 years and for just about 300k miles and it was in awesome condition right up to the moment some yahoo smacked me bad and totaled it and sent me to er (good story for another day). I plan on treating my current truck with the same care, so I want to do the work/build right. I don't want to kill the truck with this camper and gear weight, so if my plan to have it live a looong time is to happen, I really need sound advice. So please, if you would, help a wannabe player out or please point me to someone who can. Appreciate the help very much.

Last edited:
Back