• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Suggested camping areas in the Northeast?

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
Hey guys. Paige's birthday is at the end of June and we would like to spend a few days to a week on a mini trip with our new camper. I'm not sure how possible this will be with COVID, but, hypothetically, do you guys have any recommendations? Especially near rivers and waterfalls.

I grew up in NY and I actually know more about west coast camping than I do east coast, lol.

In WNY many State and other campgrounds still not opening until July 1. Hopefully it will change Evengola State Park or Watkins Glen State Park

In WNY many State and other campgrounds still not opening until July 1. Hopefully it will change Evengola State Park or Watkins Glen State Park
Thanks for the fast reply. That's kind of what I figured.

I was hoping to find some non-campground camping, like BLM. That way we can be pretty secluded and just do our own thing with our dogs and such.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/crane-pond-schroon-lake-ny.49005/

The link above is to a previous trip I did in my JL, but I did Crane Pond Memorial Day weekend in my stock trd pro, and there were quite a few similarly minded people there, but any other weekend you should be fine. It’s my favorite place to camp in the Adirondacks. Nice, moderate off road trail with a water crossing, kayak to your campsite, totally primitive but has campfire rings made of rocks since it’s been around a while.
DF77A241-3936-430B-AC22-325E0A1D2782.jpeg
B7D5F9DD-ADBA-4DE8-96A1-0EDDD6BCAF9C.jpeg

Thanks. How is that area doing with COVID?

@Nick BBP yooo
That place was fun in the winter took me and my buddy 6 hours to cover like 3.5 miles in the snow around this creek that we’re pretty sure was a hiking trail lol. That’s also where I popped my taillight on I’m pretty sure not a 4wd trail lol. It’s places you gotta pay to camp ahead of time though normal campsites, unless you go when no ones there and just camp at the tippy top

That place was fun in the winter took me and my buddy 6 hours to cover like 3.5 miles in the snow around this creek that we’re pretty sure was a hiking trail lol. That’s also where I popped my taillight on I’m pretty sure not a 4wd trail lol. It’s places you gotta pay to camp ahead of time though normal campsites, unless you go when no ones there and just camp at the tippy top
How is the trip that you're on right now?

But again trails aren’t really tough nice to explore, but also like I said Va would do, your camper would be getting pinstriped af if you weren’t driving the main dirt roads for normal cars too lol

But again trails aren’t really tough nice to explore, but also like I said Va would do, your camper would be getting pinstriped af if you weren’t driving the main dirt roads for normal cars too lol
Not concerned about the pinstripes. Or damage that is only cosmetic, lol.

Yeah the trails are nothing crazy at BESF, perfect for a stock truck. Just spicy enough without risking big damage. Camping was free at dispersed motorized campsites just have to reserve them ahead of time. It’s great because they are far apart, especially now.
From the last trip:
9636AF07-C12E-4424-B2B8-912F4C63BD66.png

CD525D1A-7697-4724-8CF0-ED5C3DEBDE16.jpeg

Yeah the trails are nothing crazy at BESF, perfect for a stock truck. Just spicy enough without risking big damage. Camping was free at dispersed motorized campsites just have to reserve them ahead of time. It’s great because they are far apart, especially now.
From the last trip:

That does look like the type of fun I need right now. It's been waaaaayyy too long for me.

From the last trip:

Mind giving some more details on this one? I lived in Bellefonte for a few years after college. I knew of Bald Eagle, but mostly just went hiking there (which was okay but nothing to brag about), and I'm really interested in how you found some of these trails. A bit of Googling isn't finding much either, I'm guessing newbie to finding the rules and trails where vehicles can drive on state lands.

It could definitely be a pretty cool trip for me to take in the Spring too.

Here is the state website, select the motorized campsite map. All the 4x4 “high clearnece” trails are marked.
Also there is a purple lizard map for the area, a little nicer than the PDF but same information.
im definitely trying to organize a spring/summer trip.

haha oh, there was my problem. I trusted Google too much at the time. Bald Eagle State Park brings up this little lake... meanwhile there's an entire forest I never knew as Bald Eagle. I'm pretty sure I hiked around there at the time. Thanks for the info though! Definitely going to be visiting a friend or two that traveling around here some time.

Attachments

• Pasted_Image_12_31_20__4_36_PM.png
    Pasted_Image_12_31_20__4_36_PM.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 67
Back