• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Storage Options in Tacos

Tacoma.prod

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Team -- Just wanted to get some feedback or recommendations for camping/off-roading with carseats. Yes, I'm the guy who brings their family on outdoor adventures. Yes, I'm the guy with just a stock tacoma building it for practical purposes (for now). No, I'm not the guy who goes on EXTREMELY challenging courses that will potentially put my family at risk.

All that being said, I'm looking at some storage recommendations when you've got 2 kids (with carseats), a medium size dog, and my co-pilot (wife). I've been looking at hard shells or soft shells (soft-topper) as an option.

Current Setup: Tannaeu Cover with hitch cargo.
Optional Setup I'm looking at: 1) Soft-topper 2) Prinsudesign roof-rack 3) Hard shell 4) Teardrop trailer 5) Don't take my family camping/off-roading (sad-face, LOL).

Any cool setups or recommendations, let me know!

SF/ PROD

This has been a tremendous help for me. Seller is “docloco” on another popular forum.
7F24D5F9-04D8-4950-B756-81306F581210.jpeg

Its a molle panel that replaces rear seat bins. I love its functionality. As far as your larger storage needs my softopper has greatly increased storage space over previous tonneua cover. The maximum would be a shell and full length Prinsu rack though but thats gonna run about 3500$. I will be adding a plano storage box to my Prinsu rack soon for additional storage while camping only. It will be removed when not on road trips

Hey Team -- Just wanted to get some feedback or recommendations for camping/off-roading with carseats. Yes, I'm the guy who brings their family on outdoor adventures. Yes, I'm the guy with just a stock tacoma building it for practical purposes (for now). No, I'm not the guy who goes on EXTREMELY challenging courses that will potentially put my family at risk.

All that being said, I'm looking at some storage recommendations when you've got 2 kids (with carseats), a medium size dog, and my co-pilot (wife). I've been looking at hard shells or soft shells (soft-topper) as an option.

Optional Setup I'm looking at: 1) Soft-topper 2) Prinsudesign roof-rack 3) Hard shell 4) Teardrop trailer 5) Don't take my family camping/off-roading (sad-face, LOL).

SF/ PROD
From your description, your best option is a hard topper. There are a ton of ways you can configure the inside of it for maximizing storage. I wouldn’t really recommend the soft top because it’s not as secure and not as modular.

I think it also depends on your budget. I don't know how the trailer would be for offroading. i'm assuming you're going to leave it somewhere then unhitch to hit some trails?

I spoke about the advantages and disadvantages of hard or soft shells and why I went hard.

Ammo cans on the side rails my next model
Also there is a steel storage replacment box for the bed it's much deaper.not the greatest but relatively cheap I bought my ammo cans for 20$Canadian from surp
Screenshot_20180603-232344_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180603-232414_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180603-232438_Chrome.jpg

I have a thread somewhere on this forum showing off my Cali Raised bed rail molle panel. Great way to get some extra storage space, in addition to what the guys above me have mentioned

I think it also depends on your budget. I don't know how the trailer would be for offroading. i'm assuming you're going to leave it somewhere then unhitch to hit some trails?

I spoke about the advantages and disadvantages of hard or soft shells and why I went hard.

Thanks! I actually saw that video. And you’re right budget is a key factor in this (and all other mods).

These are al really great ideas. I like the ammo can idea too!

SF/ PROD
I had a trip and needed something quick and affordable, i ended up using some KB Voodoo bed crossbars with a Thule roof top Cargo carrier. It worked out pretty good with my bed fully loaded, gave me a spot to keep things dry.

Back