• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Sport Mode

n2wind2000

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Does anybody drive around town (45 MPH or less) and use SPORT mode? I get tired of having to push the gas to get out of 4th when im accelerating out of a corner, only going about 15 MPH. SPORT "seems" to be a little more practical. If I find myself going over 2000 rpms I upshift to 5th.

I do..I'm going to look into OVTune and possible 4.88 gearing..most people are very happy with either one or both

What year is your truck? You might need to take it into the dealership for them to perform an ECU update. There's a thread here about Toyota releasing a TSB. There are two separate ones that may address your "gear hunting" with what you described, so you'll need to determine which one better applies to you. Check the thread right here: https://tacoma3g.com/threads/latest-tsb-update-fixed-shifting.1056/

I use sport and ECT all the time. Gives me the best gas mileage.

Does anybody drive around town (45 MPH or less) and use SPORT mode? I get tired of having to push the gas to get out of 4th when im accelerating out of a corner, only going about 15 MPH. SPORT "seems" to be a little more practical. If I find myself going over 2000 rpms I upshift to 5th.
I did this. It was better like you said, and fun, because I wanted a manual. But I have since installed OVTune and it helped tremendously.

Back