• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

SnowRunner - new 4x4 simulation game

This game is playable on PC, PlayStation, Xbox, and Switch. It has "season" updates, so tons of new content is added every few months.

The only purpose of the game is to drive around in an open world, delivering building materials in cool trucks. But a lot of it involves deep mud and snow, knowing when to use low gear, diff lock, and your winch. The trucks burn through fuel realistically, so that's something to keep in mind too. You can configure trucks with a bunch of different bed/hitch platforms, cranes, tire types and sizes, engines, lifts, etc.

It's a slooow simulation game and I love it.

The best part is how many trucks there are thanks to mods. Players are able to create their own trucks and share them for free download here:

Here's some cool looking examples:
1643909745854.png

1643909721476.png

1643909869311.png

1643909892426.png

1643909920105.png

1643909953141.png
1643909569882.png
1643909636699.png

1643909774846.png

1643909821515.png

I've played that a little.

1643912660273.png
My problem is that I only have a Mac so I don't have a great way to play it. I can run Windows on my Mac but then the game performance isn't that great. The game is amazing regardless.

Yeah, virtual machines aren't good for gaming. The console versions actually have mods (except Switch) but there's a low limit. On PC it's a free for all and I have ~40 at any given time. It's a very zen game, until I flip my truck while carrying 20 tons of concrete slabs. But I'm taking a break from it to get back into Fallout 4

except Switch
I didn't know they had it on Switch until 2 days ago. My wife has a Switch. So, I did what I always do... became obsessed with the idea of using her Switch to play it on the TV, bought it, was super stoked, decided to buy season 1 and 2 pass, then found out there's no mods for Switch. I am/was pretty bummed about that. So, here I am trying to optimize my virtual machine again. Because I really want to get back into this game.

The game is zen and stressful, yeah. But when I get stressed about getting stuck/flipping over, I usually go customize a new truck in the garage and drive it around for fun instead of working the tasks. One thing I wish the game did a little differently is the difficulty of the mud. Driving in the mud is cool and the point of the game, sure. But sometimes I want more on-road deliveries. I also wish they had some west US locations like Arizona or Utah. But there's mods for places like that.

I didn't know they had it on Switch until 2 days ago. My wife has a Switch. So, I did what I always do... became obsessed with the idea of using her Switch to play it on the TV, bought it, was super stoked, decided to buy season 1 and 2 pass, then found out there's no mods for Switch. I am/was pretty bummed about that. So, here I am trying to optimize my virtual machine again. Because I really want to get back into this game.

The game is zen and stressful, yeah. But when I get stressed about getting stuck/flipping over, I usually go customize a new truck in the garage and drive it around for fun instead of working the tasks. One thing I wish the game did a little differently is the difficulty of the mud. Driving in the mud is cool and the point of the game, sure. But sometimes I want more on-road deliveries. I also wish they had some west US locations like Arizona or Utah. But there's mods for places like that.
There are a lot of great mod maps now, some are even remakes of MudRunner mod maps. Highway Haulin', The Village, and many more. There are some underrated ones by obscure folks that are really interesting and have way different designs than the typical maps. I just can't remember their names because many are Russian

There are a lot of great mod maps now, some are even remakes of MudRunner mod maps. Highway Haulin', The Village, and many more. There are some underrated ones by obscure folks that are really interesting and have way different designs than the typical maps. I just can't remember their names because many are Russian
Do the mod maps have tasks or any form of interactions? Or are they just there for environment exploration?

There are both kinds but I stick to the ones with tasks. Some folks have made maps just for mudding and such. The real problem is having only 4 save slots so you have to choose wisely

Didn't expect to see a post about Snowrunner here...I love this game.

With that being said, the physics of the terrain and suspension was much better in the previous game - Mudrunner. Snowrunner made everything bigger but toned down the realism (as much as a video game can have) a bit.

Didn't expect to see a post about Snowrunner here...I love this game.

With that being said, the physics of the terrain and suspension was much better in the previous game - Mudrunner. Snowrunner made everything bigger but toned down the realism (as much as a video game can have) a bit.
Yea, unfortunately the physics are less believable than Mudrunner but Snowrunner is otherwise more polished than Mudrunner and the developers have done a great job with their updates (such adding packing vehicles to trailers and having it work well).

I bought it several years ago and it was more of a tech demo than an actual game. It might be different now.
It's not any different, really. Very much a game that you need to "make your own fun" with. I tried it out a few months ago after remembering I had it, there are some "missions" but besides that, it's pretty barebones.

How does it run on Switch? That thing is so underpowered that is must either cut graphics, or the game has far less physics than I'm seeing from the looks of it

How does it run on Switch? That thing is so underpowered that is must either cut graphics, or the game has far less physics than I'm seeing from the looks of it
I was pretty bummed about what it looked like. Very fuzzy graphics. Overall just bad. Especially for a game that does look beautiful on PC (and I guess PS5/Xbox?). So it felt like I was really missing out on the details of the trucks and environments, which is like 70% of where the simulation immersion comes from. Overall, don't recommend for Switch unless it's your only option. If it's your only option, it plays fine because of how much they toned down the graphics.

I was pretty bummed about what it looked like. Very fuzzy graphics. Overall just bad. Especially for a game that does look beautiful on PC (and I guess PS5/Xbox?). So it felt like I was really missing out on the details of the trucks and environments, which is like 70% of where the simulation immersion comes from. Overall, don't recommend for Switch unless it's your only option. If it's your only option, it plays fine because of how much they toned down the graphics.
Also, Switch doesn't have mod support. The other platforms do, but PC is the best for them. The consoles have strict memory limits. My rinky dink laptop runs it fine with 50 mods.

Just throwing that out there because I always install tons of mods

Also, Switch doesn't have mod support. The other platforms do, but PC is the best for them. The consoles have strict memory limits. My rinky dink laptop runs it fine with 50 mods.

Yeah, mods are what make the game endless. People are insanely good at making trucks (pictured in this thread) so without being able to use the mods you are limited to the relative few that the game comes with (on Switch).

If you haven't already check out R3nger mods.

I've yet to find any other modder that has the attention to detail that he does with his models. Plus, I'm a bit of a sucker for heavy-duty military vehicles.

My plan really was PC anyway, since I've got a nice laptop. Switch ports are a fascination of mine, since everything seems to get ported there.

Most of my time is sunk into Elden Ring at the moment, but this went onto my Steam wishlist so I'll check it out at some point. User created mods always end up by half the fun of these type of exploration games.

My plan really was PC anyway, since I've got a nice laptop. Switch ports are a fascination of mine, since everything seems to get ported there.

Most of my time is sunk into Elden Ring at the moment, but this went onto my Steam wishlist so I'll check it out at some point. User created mods always end up by half the fun of these type of exploration games.

I recommend the season pass because all the DLCs add tons of stuff. But honestly the mods are just as good. This overhaul/bug fix mod is my favorite and makes the game feel much more realistic.

I recommend the season pass because all the DLCs add tons of stuff. But honestly the mods are just as good. This overhaul/bug fix mod is my favorite and makes the game feel much more realistic.
Man, back when I did play this game on PC (on my Mac dual booting Windows), I didn't know about this mod. I would've used it because I prefer as much realism (and tediousness) as possible.

The only thing I wouldn't like about the official hardcore mode if I did still play, is having to potentially restart your career from scratch if you make a mistake that you can't winch or buy your way out of.

I’ve been dabbling in this game again. Here’s what hours of “progress” looks like….

BD65D69E-1D37-4AE4-86CE-5AEDFAF80379.jpeg
AD5053C6-E77D-41A0-A008-D341FD432958.jpeg
46F75986-A784-4AD4-ACC2-12FF12D111C8.jpeg
Looks normal to me. Is your level high enough for mud tires? The early grind to get those is the worst

OHHHHH!!!!! Exploration is my jam!

Back