• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Smart Key Issues - No Response - Locking Issues

bonifacio

8️⃣ Paragon
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Website
www.bracestraps.com
2019 TRD OR
Cement
Sometimes after shutting off the vehicle I'll forget to tap the Smart Door Handle to lock it. So a few steps later press lock on the Smart Key. Nothing happens. Remote does blink red every press. I'll keep pressing Lock and nothing. Up to about 8 times before I give up. I'll press Unlock and get a headlight response then lock. Then it will lock. It's almost like it doesn't receive the transmission from the key fob. But the proximity sensor has never been an issue when unlocking it. It's never on unlock.

Maybe it's normal. Like that one issues with the Smart App not the first time. When you shut the truck off, exit immediately then try to lock the truck with the key fob. Does it work the first time? Everytime? Can someone test that out?

I don' t think there's enough radio interference to mess with that frequency. Pretty sure it wasn't like that before. Has been going on for over a year now. It's not just in a specific area.

You might say the battery is dying. I replaced the battery. Thought it was a bad batch of batteries. Bought some more and in a different brand. Same thing. Even went with thicker batteries since some are slightly thinner which would prevent a solid connection. Never the no name batteries. Always Duracell or Energizer.

Think it's the key fob? Nope. Both of the keyfobs behave the same way.

There are also some times when I'll even touch the Smart Handle and the truck won't lock also right after shutting it off and getting out. Unlocking has never been an issue. I don't know if that's related or if I just have really dry hands. Sometimes I'll lick my finger and it works.
I wonder if the truck itself has some timer where after shut off, it won't receive transmissions from the fob and has a cool down period.

Back