• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Audio SiriusXM working without a subscription?

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
Like most I had SiriusXM when I first bought my truck as a free trial. That eventually expired and I never paid to have it. Today I accidentally hit a button to make the FM radio switch over to XM and the XM radio was actually working. This is a few years after it expired. Is this a common occurrence? I bought the truck in California and have since moved to New York - not sure if that makes a difference.

They run free promotions every now and then, typically around holidays to try and get you to resubscribe.

I've never heard of anyone who had that happen. Pretty awesome that it's working for you though. I know when you switch to it and you don't have a subscription it still plays a sort of preview channel.

I had an FJ that apparently came with and had a free trial for over 5 years!
I never signed up or heard anything from them.
It was still going when I traded it in. I guess they just forgot about me but it was nice for free!

I had an FJ that apparently came with and had a free trial for over 5 years!
I never signed up or heard anything from them.
It was still going when I traded it in. I guess they just forgot about me but it was nice for free!
That’s awesome! My wife’s Jeep did that for a few years too. We weren’t complaining, lol.

The same thing happened in my Dodge Dart I had a few years back. Got the free trial, but it lasted two years. It eventually stopped one day so I think they caught on somehow.

This has been my experience with Sirius XM:
1. I had it in my 1986 Landcruiser and canceled it when I moved overseas in 2013. When I sold the LC in 2017, the satellite radio was still going strong.

2. I got 4 months free in my 2017 Subaru Outback. Once that expired I never responded to any of their mailers and told their sales rep on a phone call that I wasn't interested in continuing the subscription. They reactivated for three months for getting my car serviced at the dealership sometime in 2018. I sold that car (to buy my Tacoma) a couple of months ago and the satellite radio was still going strong.

3. On the other hand, my wife canceled her subscription when she sold her Jetta in 2013. She had it on autopay using a credit card that she stopped using once she canceled the subscription. Sirius continued to charge the card and we only found out when we started the house buying process and saw that her credit score was wrecked from have the card canceled due to nonpayment. There's obviously another lesson here about making sure mailing addresses are updated and checking your credit every so often, but to wrap it up I don't feel the least bit bad for getting free satellite radio on our other vehicles.

This has been my experience with Sirius XM:
1. I had it in my 1986 Landcruiser and canceled it when I moved overseas in 2013. When I sold the LC in 2017, the satellite radio was still going strong.

2. I got 4 months free in my 2017 Subaru Outback. Once that expired I never responded to any of their mailers and told their sales rep on a phone call that I wasn't interested in continuing the subscription. They reactivated for three months for getting my car serviced at the dealership sometime in 2018. I sold that car (to buy my Tacoma) a couple of months ago and the satellite radio was still going strong.

3. On the other hand, my wife canceled her subscription when she sold her Jetta in 2013. She had it on autopay using a credit card that she stopped using once she canceled the subscription. Sirius continued to charge the card and we only found out when we started the house buying process and saw that her credit score was wrecked from have the card canceled due to nonpayment. There's obviously another lesson here about making sure mailing addresses are updated and checking your credit every so often, but to wrap it up I don't feel the least bit bad for getting free satellite radio on our other vehicles.
Oof! That third one is harsh. I’m sure that’s happening to tons of people with all different subscription services.

Back