• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Should you buy a longbed double cab? Is that too long?

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
Someone just asked me this question. I want to share my opinion for anyone else that has a similar question before buying.

I love having the longbed. I’m actually a HUGE longbed advocator. I understand why some people don’t want a longbed, but here is my generalized opinion: Why would you buy a pickup truck and then take a foot or more off of the thing that makes it a pickup truck? I also think shortbeds look goofy as hell. I’ve driven longbeds my whole life and I would never buy a shortbed for many reasons. Again, this is just me, and someone else’s truck is their truck, so they can do what they want.

I have had my truck on many trails, often tight to maneuver or in situations where you’d think I would bottom out because of the longer wheelbase. My truck is even longer because of the front and rear bumpers. I have never had an issue off-road because of this. I think it comes down to a good driver and a good spotter (and enough ground clearance). I’m usually the only longbed in a group of ~10 trucks and I’m often in the front because of my experience.

I’ve done plenty of parallel and city parking and while that can obviously be impossible when a spot is literally too small, you can still find spots where you’ll fit. There are bigger trucks in a city than this (think about all the Escalades and such).

Nothing against shortbed owners. This is just MY thought process for buying a truck for myself.

Someone just asked me this question. I want to share my opinion for anyone else that has a similar question before buying.

I love having the longbed. I’m actually a HUGE longbed advocator. I understand why some people don’t want a longbed, but here is my generalized opinion: Why would you buy a pickup truck and then take a foot or more off of the thing that makes it a pickup truck? I also think shortbeds look goofy as hell. I’ve driven longbeds my whole life and I would never buy a shortbed for many reasons. Again, this is just me, and someone else’s truck is their truck, so they can do what they want.

I have had my truck on many trails, often tight to maneuver or in situations where you’d think I would bottom out because of the longer wheelbase. My truck is even longer because of the front and rear bumpers. I have never had an issue off-road because of this. I think it comes down to a good driver and a good spotter (and enough ground clearance). I’m usually the only longbed in a group of ~10 trucks and I’m often in the front because of my experience.

I’ve done plenty of parallel and city parking and while that can obviously be impossible when a spot is literally too small, you can still find spots where you’ll fit. There are bigger trucks in a city than this (think about all the Escalades and such).

Nothing against shortbed owners. This is just MY thought process for buying a truck for myself.
Just wanted to point out, escalade are shorter than DCSB trucks. The esv version (suburban) is just an inch or two wheelbase longer than the DCSB. The DCLB are longer than (in both wheelbase and overall length) I think all SUV. Including the excursion and suburban (escalade esv).
Thats all

Just wanted to point out, escalade are shorter than DCSB trucks. The esv version (suburban) is just an inch or two wheelbase longer than the DCSB. The DCLB are longer than (in both wheelbase and overall length) I think all SUV. Including the excursion and suburban (escalade esv).
Thats all
That was the one I meant, my B.

That was the one I meant, my B.
I hear ya, Just wanted to point out the comparison to escalde/suburban/suv being harder in a city is a bit off as all of them all shorter than the DCLB tacoma. However, I prefer the tacoma in town so if someone tries to door ding me, its all sliders, for 99% of other vehicles. Where ass the escalade gets dinged up constantly when I go to denver and it makes me crazy

I hear ya, Just wanted to point out the comparison to escalde/suburban/suv being harder in a city is a bit off as all of them all shorter than the DCLB tacoma. However, I prefer the tacoma in town so if someone tries to door ding me, its all sliders, for 99% of other vehicles. Where ass the escalade gets dinged up constantly when I go to denver and it makes me crazy
Also, with the way you wheel, you might be an example of a shortbed I might not be able to keep up with. I would love to try though.

Also, with the way you wheel, you might be an example of a shortbed I might not be able to keep up with. I would love to try though.
I think a majority of folks would do just fine with whatever option since very few push trucks beyond limits. More people have rear lockers than need them. Just a preference thing. If folks are happy, I support it.

I think a majority of folks would do just fine with whatever option since very few push trucks beyond limits. More people have rear lockers than need them. Just a preference thing. If folks are happy, I support it.
Couldn’t agree more. Whatever makes someone happy with their truck is the right way.

Edit: The OP here is just my opinion for someone who didn’t buy yet. I get asked this all the time.

DCSB is what fits in my garage. If I need to carry a bigger load I have a trailer.

Back