• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Shopping for a new Tacoma

Freebird

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.venturerider.org
2022 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
Well here's the situation. Two days ago, my wife totaled my 2018 TRD Off Road. Thankfully she is OK but I'm now shopping for a new truck. It is going to take a while because around here, there aren't many to be had.

I am thinking about going with the TRD Sport this time. I admit that I seldom, if ever, do any real off roading. I am also thinking strongly about going with the 6 ft. bed this time. There are both things that I'm just strongly considering at this point but that is the way that I am leaning. I use my truck primarily for pulling my bass boat and my double jet ski trailer.

One question. I can't find on the Toyota website what the gear ratios are. Are the Off Road and the Sport the same?

I'm really surprised that they totaled the '18. It only had 48,000 miles on it and was if fantastic shape before the wreck.

Attachments

• IMG_0327.jpeg
    IMG_0327.jpeg
    308.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Off road and sport are the same gear ratio. You don't see a difference there except between Auto and Manual transmission.
Here is a chart that shows each gear + final drive. I dont have the 4cyl, but I don't think anyone would recommend towing with that.
Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 9.32.58 AM.jpg

I figured. More info never hurts.

Bummer that they totaled it out. I feel like insurance companies are a bit hyper active. My truck is rebuilt title because of very similar damage. It cost about 2 grand to replace the bumper and grille + massage out some of the bends in the sheet metal. Pretty crazy that they wouldn't just fix it. All a numbers game for them I guess.

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 11.06.53 AM.jpg

Anyway... happy hunting! I hope you can find something sooner rather than later!

Even if you do wheel or off road, my Sport gets around just fine! Glad to hear your wife was ok after the accident!

Well, I had no luck at all finding one on a lot like I wanted. I searched as far out as 300 miles and came up with nothing. I actually found a local dealer who had one ordered but it has not arrived yet. I bought it though. It was supposed to have been built yesterday and they said it should be here by the end of July or possibly first of August. It was the quickest I could come up with. I loved the one I had and this one is very similar. I wanted the white again but went with the leather interior this time. Or cause to get the leather interior required a "Package" that also included moonroof and a bunch of other stuff. Could have done without the moonroof but that's ok. Now the wait begins.

Long beds maybe better for lunching a boat? Maybe more stable for towing because a longer track?Please look into Supremes Suspension ( the RAS) spring helpers for people who trailer.
Plus the sport , you can add a front true Trac for more traction, especially since towing giving the front tires better gripping. Reseach this.
I saw Sumo bumps stops helps for trailer loads.

Well actually, I decided to go with another Off Road rather than the Sport model for a couple of reasons. I was still on the fence about the bed length. I would have taken either one but this one ended up being the short bed like I had before. So basically I'm getting the same truck I had except for being a few years newer and this one having the leather, moon roof, etc. I had absolutely no problem pulling the boat or the jet skis with my old truck. Not a big boat, just a 16.5 ft. Smokercraft with a 50 HP outboard. The two jet skis probably weigh under 2000 lbs. total. I was thinking about the long bed just because 5' is a bit short sometimes when you need to haul something but I did like the maneuverability and the looks. So, I'm pretty much getting what I had. I was determined to find a white with black leather. I've driven white cars and trucks for close to 30 years. Just like white.

Back