• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Service / Oil Change

Manbun525

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Inferno
For all the 2016/2017 tacos that had the 2 year free service bs, oil changes, tire, brake, fluid check etc, it appears my 2 year free service time is up. I called Toyota like usual for my 30k check up and well I have a 2017 and my time is up, they said it'll be 350-400$.........

So, A. What all do they even do, oil change and just check everything else to make sure its "ok"?

B. Where does everybody take their trucks for service or just oil changes in general?

Still go to dealership? Do it yourself? Any basic corner oil shop?

Thanks

You can see each service required based on milage here.
https://www.toyota.com/owners/parts-service/maintenance-schedule

I paid for service to 50k and have since taken over them myself. Any good local shop could probably handle it, but realize that having a full dealer service record could be a selling point when you are ready for that. (y)

You should have a service manual in you car that comes with owners manual it will tell you what and when stuff needs to get done
For me I will use toyota until my free service shit is dont then I will go third party mechanic until warranty is done , so I'll still have service records if somthing goes wrong

Yeah I'm debating as I could pry do most of it myself, but I'm super busy currently and this kinda crept up on me as I forgot my service ran out. As far as third party mech, I may do that later on while doing some myself but id have to search around before just going somewhere.

I may just have to shell out the mulla this time, Victory you remember what yours cost? they said something like 330 before tax I think

I recently went into my local dealership here in the Bay Area for my "free" service. On the service advisors desk they had "promotional" pricing and I remember that 30k was $229.

As for what comes with the service.. here's what I found on my dealerships website which basically includes a whole lot of "multi-point inspection":

Replace engine oil and oil filter
Replace engine air filter
Rotate tires
Check installation of driver's floor
mat
Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
Inspect brake lines and hoses
Inspect brake linings/drums and
brake pads/discs
Inspect cabin air filter
Inspect drive shaft boots
Inspect engine coolant
Inspect exhaust pipes and mountings
Inspect front differential oil
Inspect fuel lines and connections,
fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor v…
Inspect fuel tank cap gasket
Inspect radiator and condenser
Inspect rear differential oil
Inspect steering gear box
Inspect steering linkage and boots
Inspect transfer case oil (4WD)

You may want to take a look at your dealerships website to see what is included in theirs. Haven't decided what route I'm going to take once my free service is up. But based on how much I've been driving this truck, I'll reach 25k before I even reach 1.5 years.

I recently went into my local dealership here in the Bay Area for my "free" service. On the service advisors desk they had "promotional" pricing and I remember that 30k was $229.

As for what comes with the service.. here's what I found on my dealerships website which basically includes a whole lot of "multi-point inspection":

Replace engine oil and oil filter
Replace engine air filter
Rotate tires
Check installation of driver's floor
mat
Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
Inspect brake lines and hoses
Inspect brake linings/drums and
brake pads/discs
Inspect cabin air filter
Inspect drive shaft boots
Inspect engine coolant
Inspect exhaust pipes and mountings
Inspect front differential oil
Inspect fuel lines and connections,
fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor v…
Inspect fuel tank cap gasket
Inspect radiator and condenser
Inspect rear differential oil
Inspect steering gear box
Inspect steering linkage and boots
Inspect transfer case oil (4WD)

You may want to take a look at your dealerships website to see what is included in theirs. Haven't decided what route I'm going to take once my free service is up. But based on how much I've been driving this truck, I'll reach 25k before I even reach 1.5 years.
God 230 bucks for visual inspection that's crazy ,

does every dealer not do the same 30k maintenance?! I called around to most Toyotas here in the valley, (phoenix) and got prices from 260-650...

does every dealer not do the same 30k maintenance?! I called around to most Toyotas here in the valley, (phoenix) and got prices from 260-650...
The maintenance SHOULD only be what your OWNERS MANUAL states if you hear dealers putting more on there then there just grabbing extra money
No matter what they tell you "you may need" "you should do" if it deosnt say in the owners manual then it's not needed , ofcourse there is a catastrophic failure , or a known failure/tsb/warrenty

Back