• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Self adjustable rear drum brakes..

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
I just learn every time you pull up the hand brakes…it is able to self adjust the rear drum brakes on the Tacomas ..(mines is a 2019)..

I was getting terrible gas mileages after the try to fix the rear brakes locking up…I got about a average of 15 + mpg…32 inch tire 2.5 lift..before..
After they claim they fix it ..I started getting 10-12 mpg…went back to dealer..another mechanic said the drum brakes were on very, very tight..he loosen it up..feels better now!

Mechanic told me most Tacomas self adjustable rear brakes works every time you pull up the hand brakes..information only…
Aloha

Self adjusting parking brakes are not very new. My 2002 Ford Ranger had them. Everytime you reversed, they would adjust. It's a bit different between manufacturers, but good to know how or which component is the catalyst for the adjustment.

Upvote 0
From the early 70’s …I used to replace my own drum brakes….that is when I learn about how reversing will self adjust the brakes..and how to tighten or loosening the brake drums…as needed after a installed..

It was a new surprise for me to learn..lifting the hand brakes ..is how Toyota does it today, before that I always thought reversing was still being used…even for Toyotas …something new for me…
I still have my 1999 Ford ranger 3.0 4x4 …
Thank you …

Upvote 0
Back