• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Securing dog crate in back seat

Sigs

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Cavalry Blue
I'm interested in hearing if anybody has some better ideas for securing down their dogs while traveling, or if there are any ideas to just help secure mine down a little better.

My German Shepherd is about 70lbs, so fairly small-medium, but is just full of energy. For an idea of his energy levels, plus it's a great picture; this was his favorite toy to play fetch this Summer.
rafi_log.JPG

He likes to chase cars down while inside the vehicle, driving down the road. I can only stand to drive about 5-10 minutes if he's free in the truck, with the additional benefit of him being much safer if we are in an incident. I picked up a Ruffland Kennel about a year or two ago, and it works great! I don't have an issue with it, it can be a bit bulky, but it gives him plenty of room to lay down in, during our long trips.
It's really simple to tie down in my old, beater 4Runner. However, tying it down in the Tacoma is a lot more clumsy. I feel like it's secure, but this is why I'm asking if there are some better ideas around that I'm not seeing.

PXL_20201226_192858568.jpg
PXL_20201226_192903260.jpg
PXL_20201226_192907235.jpg

It's in a good sport, or at least as a good a spot as I can get it. I use two tie downs; I feel good about the two tie downs hitting several different hooks for the back seats, and the load is getting displaced evenly. However, the front of the kennel doesn't have anywhere for me to secure it. I just loop it around the bottom of the back seats, and it's just crushing the seat cushions; causing some instability in his crate and I need to tighten up the slack occasionally.

Back