• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Pre-Purchase Question RSI Smart Tray

Berserker__taco

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 SR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Bed-Replacement-System-SmartCap-XL_2021-03-29-210009.jpg

Bed-Replacement-System-Flat-Bed_2021-03-29-205953.jpg

I've been eyeballing this and am seriously thinking this is the next phase on my rig. I have always felt that the Aussie style of outfitting a truck was a bit more organized and functional. Canopy comes off and you have a functional flatbed tray. Put it back on and you have all your gear secured, out of the weather, and easily accessible.

This unit clocks in at 1145lb for the set. That has me concerned a little about loss of payload and weather the 8in rear in my SR will take it once it's full. I know, its weak, but I dont like gadjets and fluff. And Toyota seems to think that in America only higher end trims go offroad🤷‍♂️.

My big question for anyone who knows.... How much does the entire factory bed weigh? If I can subtract that number from the RSI weight and calculate my gear in I'd be able to see if it will work or not.

I want to say the stock bed is around 250 lbs. I read that on TW a while ago. No confirmation on that number though.

From what little I've found 250 seems to be the number. No one was definitely sure about it tho. I'm thinking it should be ok. People are running the 4 Wheel Campers on top of the factory bed and those campers weigh 900 or more.

250# was for the smart cap itself for a regular bed. I bet it's not that bad if it's aluminum.

250# was for the smart cap itself for a regular bed. I bet it's not that bad if it's aluminum.
These are stainless steel. For both its 1145lb. If the factory bed weighs 250 I'd be at 895 over factory bare bed weight. With the 600lb I typically carry when going out I'd be at 1495lb riding over the axle. I think that's about 300lb over the factory payload

These are stainless steel. For both its 1145lb. If the factory bed weighs 250 I'd be at 895 over factory bare bed weight. With the 600lb I typically carry when going out I'd be at 1495lb riding over the axle. I think that's about 300lb over the factory payload
Box in the frame, add some archive goodies; shock relocation, hangars and crossbars, custom deavers, and you should be good to go with carrying that extra weight!

This is what I plan on doing in the next few years with my rig, except im designing my own aluminum flatbed/aussie box system.

So, total rabbit trail...how about that vintage Goodyear MTR in the spare position! I had those on an XJ or two when I was a kid, favorite tire of all time :)

Box in the frame, add some archive goodies; shock relocation, hangars and crossbars, custom deavers, and you should be good to go with carrying that extra weight!

This is what I plan on doing in the next few years with my rig, except im designing my own aluminum flatbed/aussie box system.
Once I add sliders I'm sure that will help stiffen the frame. 1,000lb Deavers are coming and I'm sure the Archive hangers with cross support will wrap it up. This setup is going on the truck. I have a Harrop Elocker coming tomorrow. Gear swap and locker install soon. Hopefully it all holds.

You're a good fabricator. I'm sure whatever you conjure up will be stout

Yeah. That's full size truck territory there. Would be great on an f-150 of a Rebel.

Buy a tent if you have to add $3000 worth of beefing up your frame. Just giving you crap. 300 lbs actually isn't that much..I owned semis and drove them for 20 years. I haul my 7x14 cargo trailer with my 1875 # Kawasaki KRX 1000 just fine. No overheating issues or anything else. I have a 2021Tacoma Crewcab, 4x4, V6, 5 1/2 bed and I live in AZ.

Looks pretty schaweet! I'll probably go on a flatbed avenue once my loan is paid.

Back