• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Rough Country Air adjustable Shocks…a long time ago..

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
Many , many years ago I own a 1986 Dodge Ram 4x4 with straight front axles..LSD’s front and rear, install a fuel injection, ( remove the old carburetor) and install inside cab Air control switch with 9 settings…each shock had Manuel controls but I went with Air controls in cab…
As you are driving you could adjust the level of soft to stiffer shock settings….1-9 WOW…. I would play to find what level I like on road and off road…
But those days the o-rings fail too, too much on the air o- rings connections…reason this concept did NOT last…I took it out and stay with individual Manuel controls.. 3 for street and 7 when off roading..

Today you still can buy Manuel control settings for shocks……BUT . If they ever come out with a electronic control switch that can be mounted inside the cab? And reasonable pricing… I would do it again..
This way you can adjust the rides as the terrain changes…by a switch inside the cab …I am surprised it is NOT available for the masses?
It was fun to be able to test which level you like, as you were driving…

My Dodge Ram had a 4 inch lift ,8 foot bed with a fiberglass camper…you could change clothes , almost standing up…lol and with the LSD’s ..I was able reach/travel every beach trail on the BIG island of Hawaii …this truck had NO Limits…i miss what this truck was able to do…

Today I have a 2019 Tacoma TRD off road, LB, 2.5 lift, Leer camper…I am much older…retired…climbing out of a taller truck…is NOT for me or my wife.. we still love to fish and go camping…just take longer get up and go…lol.

If you ever get the experience to be able to adjust you rides by the push of a button…? And be able to find the level of comfort…for each terrain?…it may change the Off roading world…! And when you reach the highways…be able to adjust the shocks for the highways…will be nice and more comfortable…
Aloha, Off roading since the 70’s….started with a Jeep Cherokee…4x4 quadratic…

Back