• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Road Noise

BudB

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
'18 OffRoad Access Cab----- I have a lot of road noise but only on the passenger side in the access door area. Anyone here of such an issue? Dealer to diagnose on Tuesday but just looking for any advise. Thanks, Bud

July 2020 I traded in my 2007 Taco Sport MT and purchased a 2020 Taco TRD Sport MT. In the last year I've put on around 17,000 miles. I also put on a K&N air intake. In May of 2021 I started hearing a humming noise in the rear of the truck around 40-50 MPH. I took it in to my dealer, they related to me that they could not duplicate the noise. I waited a week and returned to the dealer as the noise had grown louder. I directed them to check the rear differential which was where they found dirty Dif oil. I asked if they had found metal shavings in the oil and that related to me that they had. As a result of this, they replaced a seal and a carrier bearing. (I believe that's what they called it.) which was covered under warranty and explained as an unexplainable mechanical failure. As I needed the vehicle for a family trip, the repair was performed and I continued home and could still hear the humming noise. I made it through the trip fine but the hum has grown louder to the extent that I believe I can hear it outside the vehicle. After reading the above comments, I'm wondering if this is an issue like the corroded Frame or failing Universal Joints. Looking for some suggestions or advice.

Last edited:
Not an expert, but sounds like it could be your differential gears.

The Jeep grand Cherokee's of the 90's and early 2000's had this same problem, had to do with different metal alloys expanding and contracting according to their different physical characteristics, created wear patterns that made noise. The metal shavings support this in your truck.

There have been a few folks with Tacos who have had problems like yours. Keep searching. Might have to wade through some fecal material, but the Tacomaworld guys have addressed this question a bit...again, you'll have to get knee deep in a bunch of offended 12 year olds attempting to swear their way into respectable pirate-hood, but you may find a few pearls amidst the refuse.

Back