• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Rhino lining for Rock sliders and skid plates..?

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
Rhino lining is a very tough material….BUT….My rock sliders I had a choice of bare metal, powdered coating or Rhino lining…
Living in Hawaii , the salt air and going to the beaches to fishing , etc…I choose Rhino lining..
It has chip in a few places…rusting a bit…

I live on a coffee farm…roads are mostly dirt, a few strips of road materials and concrete….but mostly dirt…1000 foot elevation….it RAINS a lot…roads get muddy and coating on my rock sliders …impossible to keep clean …mud actually gets in the lining like a stain on wood….a dirty brown!
No pressure washer, ..I live off the grid….and no I do not want to buy a pressure washer with a motor…

Today I finally repainted my rock sliders,using Rust-oleum engine enamel paint …black….looks better for now….BUT the rhino is a rough textured material..and the next rain …dirt will fill in those gaping holes….Ah!

Please consider NOT using rhino lining for skid plates Or at least on the rock sliders where it can be seen!
Please consider using power coating or usie a smooth texture paints!
Aloha,

I just used flat black rattlecan. I keep a can in my door. It serves two purposes. I can quickly repair bad scratches and also if someone tries to carjack me I can spray paint in their eyes.

Bear spray? Goes farther and most potent? Hard to find bear spray in Hawaii…..but we do have some “huge” locals….lol
But bear spray is a weapon (also weaker that pepper spray) so if you get pulled over it's hard to explain it away. I used to carry wasp spray, that shit is a VERY potent neurotoxin but then everyone started carrying it as a defensive weapon and the cops got wise to it. At least that's my understanding.

Never thought of wasp spray.. I use them to hit the high places for wasp…very powerful and almost twenty feet…

Back to painting rhino ling ….maybe I will try the Flex-coat Black? Next time?
Anyone use the flex-coats on there trucks? Liners, pipe racks, inside fenders ?
Aloha

That’s awesome you live on a coffee farm! A hobby of mine is roasting coffee. Sorry for the off topic post, continue!

That is a nice hobby, you get to try many green bean coffee from all over the world, and you will always get to drinking fresh roasted coffee..too…!
Have you try Kona coffee? Be aware not all the same…plus what they sell you may not be real Kona coffee..
Kona can only produce 3 millions of real Kona coffee..but the State tax office ..show 20 million lbs of pure Kona coffee being sold each year? Huh?
There is a understood rule …? Where ever you roast the coffee, you ..you can claim it location as a brand..roasted in Las Vegas…you can claim LV - roasted coffee..roast in Colorado..call it Colorado coffee..
Please research this further?
Aloha

I haven't tried Kona yet. I'm very careful buying the more exotic beans since they cost more and I want to be sure I'm getting the real deal.

People don't realize how much better truly fresh roasted coffee is. Is there a place I can buy some beans from your farm?

Fresh roasted coffee…nothing like it…. Reason why whole beans are better and taste fresher …grind them when needed…
We make two pots of coffee every morning…2-4 cups for me daily..
Kona coffee is very expensive….our price will rise soon to $35.00 …per lb
pure Kona coffee most places over $55 per pound…. Just be aware..not all pure Kona coffee is real pure Kona coffee…and each farm will. Taste very different…

During the Kona coffee festival…each year I will go booth to booths to sample there coffee…you will notices the different flavors and tastes…!
Living on a real Kona coffee farm…need a 4x4 just to go home , living on a mountain side…
Coconuts ,pineapples, papayas, mangos ,avocados, guava , oranges, lemons ,macadams nuts trees,
Are a few rewarding gifts from the farm land…also ocean view and clean air….AH!
Aloha

Down side when it rains..my white truck gets very muddy and dirty….and it rain almost everyday this past summer..fall is usually less rain…5 days so far no rain…lol

Rhino ling Not good for sliders….!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds amazing. Pretty sure I had mango for the first time in Barbados and the ones I get here are good, but not what I remember there.

I’ll have to get some Kona next time I order. I’ve been using coffee bean corral lately.

It’s fun seeing how different one type of bean can be depending how I roast it.

Every week a local pig hunter come to the coffee farm to harvest the pigs…in return we get Smoke meat…
Endless pigs in the coffee fields every night you can hear them ..feeding
Aloha
No rhinos …just pigs…

Back