• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Remote Start Issue

Freebird

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.venturerider.org
2022 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
I have a 2022 TRD Off Road. I have a question about the Toyota App remote start. Mine NEVER works on the first try. It's pretty simple. Truck must be locked. Press and hold the start button. When I do, the icon just spins until it times out, usually at least a couple of miles, and nothing happens. I press and hold it again and it starts just fine. This is not an occasional thing. It happens every time I try to use it.

Hold on hold on hold on........ we can start our trucks thru an APP NOW?!?!?!

Upvote 0
Factory Toyota remote start I’m assuming? Sounds like it could just be an issue with the app. See if there’s an update or try deleting and redownloading it. Wireless issues can be finicky. If it is the Toyota remote start, you could talk to Toyota about the issue as well if no one else has any recommendations in here.

Upvote 0
Yes, it's the Toyota remote start. I alaways keep my apps updated, check for updates every morning. Haven't tried deleting and redownloading it though. May try that later. Not a huge deal, just irritating. I'll ask them about it the next time I take it in for service but I've found in the past that most dealers aren't too knowledgeable about these electronic issues.

Upvote 0
Sorry, that was a typo. It should have been a couple of minutes, not miles.
Internet connection?
If your phone isn't used, a battery saver could be causing it to turn off wireless connections. So when you pick it up, it takes a moment to fire back up.
Timing out has to be a connection issue. Like it's trying to send out the command, but it's not going anywhere.

I would go as far as going to Apps in your phone, Force Stop, Clear Cache and Data. Re-install. Log in again then try. Set permissions.
Location and connection permissions. Might even be in settings where you set for the connection not to sleep when inactive.
Check Battery Saver Settings. If it doesn't work the first time, but goes through the second time, it has to be the delayed connection.

Upvote 0
I'm no expert but am completely computer and phone literate. I've checked the things you have mentioned but am 99.9% sure that it is not a phone or connection issue. I seldom lock my truck. I don't use the remote start every day but on the mornings that I do, I first have to use the APP to lock the truck because it has to be locked to use the remote start. The connection is fine, I press and hold the lock button and the truck locks just as it should. Then I press and hold the start button and the icon starts spinning showing the start sequence but nothing happens. I know I have a connection because I just used it to lock the truck. Then, after waiting for it to time out, I press and hold the start button again and it starts.

Upvote 0
I'm no expert but am completely computer and phone literate. I've checked the things you have mentioned but am 99.9% sure that it is not a phone or connection issue. I seldom lock my truck. I don't use the remote start every day but on the mornings that I do, I first have to use the APP to lock the truck because it has to be locked to use the remote start. The connection is fine, I press and hold the lock button and the truck locks just as it should. Then I press and hold the start button and the icon starts spinning showing the start sequence but nothing happens. I know I have a connection because I just used it to lock the truck. Then, after waiting for it to time out, I press and hold the start button again and it starts.
So if you don't lock it often and lock it with the app first...

Try locking it with your key fob first.
Wait a couple minutes.
Open the app, remote start.

You mentioned it was timing out. Maybe there is a delay/idle when multiple commands are sent. Maybe once you lock it, it sends the command then idles for x amount of seconds/minutes. Might be programmed into the app to regulate traffic/servers or it's to prevent once it remotes starts, multiple presses won't shut it off. Don't know if that's how that functions. But from dabbling in manual coding and programming.

So locking it with the app might be running through a process to lock it. Then make sure it's locked and complete the transmission.

Lock with the key fob or by the touch handle and let it "settle".
Then give it a try. If it works, then we know there's a delay.

Upvote 0
i've noticed that when i lock mine it takes a minute or so for the vehicle status to show as "locked". are you maybe trying the start sequence before it knows you have locked it? i just bought mine a couple days ago and haven't tried remote starting it yet so that's just a wild guess. mine is in my garage so i don't want to try it now. lol

Upvote 0
Yes, I'm waiting for it to indicate that it is locked before trying to start. Bonifacio may be on to something though. There may be a time delay. This morning, I used the key fob to lock the truck before trying the remote start. After locking it with the key fob, I walked back into the house and tried the remote start. For the first time ever, it started on the first try. I will experiment with it some more but it appears that that may be the solution. If so, I will just have to get into the habit of locking my truck when I get out of it. I know that is the best proactice anyway but I live in a rural and safe area and have never had any problems with theft and etc. here.

Upvote 0
Yes, I'm waiting for it to indicate that it is locked before trying to start. Bonifacio may be on to something though. There may be a time delay. This morning, I used the key fob to lock the truck before trying the remote start. After locking it with the key fob, I walked back into the house and tried the remote start. For the first time ever, it started on the first try. I will experiment with it some more but it appears that that may be the solution. If so, I will just have to get into the habit of locking my truck when I get out of it. I know that is the best proactice anyway but I live in a rural and safe area and have never had any problems with theft and etc. here.
I swear my Toyotas used to lock after I got out. It would automatically just lock. I know it's happened before because I'll get out, stand around and just hear a beep and lock. Could check the settings to see if there's an auto lock setting. Sometimes I thought it was a distance thing.

But there are times I go out the truck and find the doors unlocked... It's like it was there, then the removed that feature.

Upvote 0
I swear my Toyotas used to lock after I got out. It would automatically just lock. I know it's happened before because I'll get out, stand around and just hear a beep and lock. Could check the settings to see if there's an auto lock setting. Sometimes I thought it was a distance thing.

But there are times I go out the truck and find the doors unlocked... It's like it was there, then the removed that feature.
There is an auto lock feature with these trucks if I’m not mistaken. There’s a way to program the amount of time it takes to auto lock as well. I’d have to search around and find the info for that again though

Upvote 0
There is an auto lock feature with these trucks if I’m not mistaken. There’s a way to program the amount of time it takes to auto lock as well. I’d have to search around and find the info for that again though
I think you're right. There's an auto-lock timer, but that only works for when it unlocks and you don't open the door. But once you open a door, it won't auto-lock.

This is so stupid. Another gripe of mine. $43k truck. No auto lock by time or proximity and power seats for 19's.

Upvote 0
Back