• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Remote keyless entry security flaw?

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
This video just popped up on my feed. I didn't know trucks are getting stolen like this. Anyone have any further insight on whether or not this should be a concern for someone traveling the country?

Original link: https://youtu.be/3Wmr1VPU8cw

Gahhhh I wanna watch the video, damn Govt blocking youtube. Can I get a recap?

He basically says thieves can easily “hack” the keyless entry system. To prevent that, you need to use a computer program to change your remote’s identification number, and also disable keyless entry entirely (so you’d have to unlock your truck by pushing the button on the remote).

He basically says thieves can easily “hack” the keyless entry system. To prevent that, you need to use a computer program to change your remote’s identification number, and also disable keyless entry entirely (so you’d have to unlock your truck by pushing the button on the remote).
Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

thanks @Tyler

From what I have read about this before, the bad guy has to get within 30ish feet to read your FOB. Since most people hang their keys by the door they enter when they come home, I had just moved my keys into the master bedroom, but I will probably try this trick now.

He has another video where you can "amplify" your A/C by closing the other vents. He probably puts insulated Tupperware over his Amazon Alexa, only has missionary style sex and then apologizes to his girl when she cheats on him. Just a naive kid that watched a web based training from Toyota thinking it'll help him get sales. I'm a hater and I'm just in a mood.

After a little thought...
Engine immobilizer. Toyota being a big company would implement some state-of-art engine immobilizer technology.
I'm pretty sure it has to be a little more sophisticated than copying a 315mhz signal.
If that even works, which he has no proof of it actually working.
Now... does the Smart Key just sit there and broadcast the engine immobilizer code to everyone all the time everywhere?
Insurance companies offer discounts for vehicles that have engine immobilizers. Pretty sure they're not gonna give up a couple bucks for each and every policy if someone with a $80 Chinese 315mhz scanner can just duplicate a key fob on the fly and steal your vehicle. Oooooh. Take that Brian Ruperti.

It's no different than just smashing your window and taking your shit. Because they wouldn't be able to get it started.
Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbpU2LXYT_Q

Seems like a lot of work and to keep up with rolling code.

Just creating stupid videos to make yourself seem more reputable/knowledgeable. It's RobMotive's son everyone... Damn I can't stand that guy.

Last edited:
This video just popped up on my feed. I didn't know trucks are getting stolen like this. Anyone have any further insight on whether or not this should be a concern for someone traveling the country?

Original link: https://youtu.be/3Wmr1VPU8cw
This method of car stealing has been around for a bit. It is usually a pair of thieves - one near the key to amplify the key fob signal and another near the potential vehicle to receive the amplified signal. And the thieves establish a wireless link between them (basically extending the range of the key fob). Then they go around pulling on car handles until one opens (or they see the lights flash indicating the doors unlocked) and try to start it.

From what I've heard, they prefer to do this in urban areas where people are away from their vehicle for a lengthy period of time (like at a movie theater, home, work, etc.) and they can get both within range of the key fob and the vehicle, yet far enough away where the owner doesn't realize their car is being stolen.

It is a lot of work to do this, so I'd imagine they'd reserve it for high-end vehicles or vehicles in high demand for parting out.

That’s peak YouTube content!

Ah, so my shit box should be fine.
lol.. not what I meant. More like the guy in my neighborhood who parks his McLaren outside his garage so everyone can see it.

Anyone know if Tacoma’s are commonly stolen for parts?

lol.. not what I meant. More like the guy in my neighborhood who parks his McLaren outside his garage so everyone can see it.

Anyone know if Tacoma’s are commonly stolen for parts?
I think the tailgates get stolen in some places? Not sure about the whole truck but I have seen it a handful of times on social media.

Hold down the lock button and while doing so press the unlock button twice and it temporarily disabled the rfid scanner, turning off the FOB temporarily. All you would need to do to turn it back on is press any one of the buttons on the FOB.

Back