• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Recovery Gear

bakerotter11

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Manual
White
Looking to start building my recovery kit. Curious as to what everyone has in theirs.

My thoughts were
• Steel shackles
• Soft shackles
• Kinetic rope
• Hitch receiver shackle
• Gloves

kinetic rope, towstrap, pullies, d rings, max tracks, shovel, tree saver, highlift jack, winch. there's the basics to get you out of a jam.

I’ve got:
Smittybilt x20 comp 12k synthetic winch
Smittybilt AWS shackle (4wp sale, got it free)
Autobots shackles for bumper (Amazon)
TredPro recovery boards
PowerTank inflation system
ProEagle 3-ton off road jack
2 gear America snatch blocks
Synthetic tow strap
Synthetic tree strap
2 Synthetic tire/axle straps
2 heavy duty ratchet straps
4-6 regular racket straps
SOG folding shovel
3 pairs leather gloves
Nylon rope
Trauma kit
Road flares
Machete
Hatchet
2 headlamps
Magnetic flashlight
Garbage bags
Paper towels
Toilet paper roll

for more serious trips I can bolt on the mounts for a full size axe, full sized shovel, and a hi-lift jack

I also usually bring a full set of hand tools, impact guns, and various tape, zip ties, epoxy, etc.

might be a bit overkill but all of it stores nicely under or behind the rear seats or is mounted in the bed and locked. I’m pretty confident I’d have enough stuff to help myself, my friends, or anyone else on the trails or road in most situations, so I went all in and just basically forget it until if/when I need it

I'm a solo traveler so, my recovery is around getting myself out with no one to help.

-Winch
-(2) Soft Shackles
-(2) Steel Shackles
-(2) MaxTrax
-Kinetic Rope (that I probably won't ever use.... not really sure why I have it, maybe if I run across someone needing help)
-Deadman
-Factor 55 RRP
-Bottle Jack w/ base plate
-Shovel
-Hitch Receiver Shackle Mount
-Factor 55 Fast Fid

I'm a solo traveler so, my recovery is around getting myself out with no one to help.

-Winch
-(2) Soft Shackles
-(2) Steel Shackles
-(2) MaxTrax
-Kinetic Rope (that I probably won't ever use.... not really sure why I have it, maybe if I run across someone needing help)
-Deadman
-Factor 55 RRP
-Shovel
-Factor 55 Fast Fid
I’ve been checking that deadman out. I think that will be my next and probably last recovery piece

-Winch
-(2) Soft Shackles
-(2) Steel Shackles
-(2) MaxTrax
-Deadman
-Factor 55 RRP
-Shovel
-Factor 55 Fast Fid
Ive never used my kinetic rope either, but it looks cool

The absolute minimum, a shovel and a jack. But like many others, my kit has grow into something that I really will never need. Warn 10s, 4 Maxtrax, shovel, 6 ton bottle w/ base, 3 ton bottle jack, Yankum rope, 4 bow shackles, Factor 55 rear recovery point, 2 soft shackles, tow strap, tire repair kit, JB weld, snatch block, trunk protector, cable dampeners, gloves and probably a few other things I am forgetting. I am likely going to add a deadman some day.

The absolute minimum, a shovel and a jack. But like many others, my kit has grow into something that I really will never need. Warn 10s, 4 Maxtrax, shovel, 6 ton bottle w/ base, 3 ton bottle jack, Yankum rope, 4 bow shackles, Factor 55 rear recovery point, 2 soft shackles, tow strap, tire repair kit, JB weld, snatch block, trunk protector, cable dampeners, gloves and probably a few other things I am forgetting. I am likely going to add a deadman some day.
I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

Back