• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Recalibration

Tropical

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Just replaced my windshield and am going to the dealer to get my safety sensor recalibrated. I have a pedal commander installed, should I remove it before taking it to the dealer or will they be ok doing the recalibration with it installed?

Not sure on that one. Shouldn't affect it, but if it's easy to remove that's probably be the most efficient, avoid another potential dealership trip.

It's just a Pedal Commander. Leave it in there.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act: a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty of your vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of or contributed to the failure of the vehicle (15 U.S.C. 2302 (C)). This means that a vehicle's warranty cannot be "voided;" the dealer can only deny a claim if the stock part failed due to damage or unreasonable use.

Just replaced my windshield and am going to the dealer to get my safety sensor recalibrated. I have a pedal commander installed, should I remove it before taking it to the dealer or will they be ok doing the recalibration with it installed?
great question, I know changing the grille or installing a lift kit will cause the radar sensor placed in the grille to be relocated. Is it still a thing that Toyota will not guarantee such a transformation. When there was a recall on 2018-2019 Tacomas due to the danger of water entering into the sensor, they made that public. Technically, removing and reinstalling that sensor requires it to be recalibrated, but Toyota will not recalibrate a sensor that isn't in the factory configuration.

I want to get this Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro Grill 3rd Gen | (2016-2022) (https://highcountryoffroad.com/product/3rd-gen-toyota-tacoma-grill-trd-pro-grille/) grille but am confused. While it's true that plenty of people have lifts and aftermarket tires, and aftermarket grills and have passed calibration proving the tolerances of the sensor allow for these modifications. I don't want to make a bad move. What has been your expperience ?

great question, I know changing the grille or installing a lift kit will cause the radar sensor placed in the grille to be relocated. Is it still a thing that Toyota will not guarantee such a transformation. When there was a recall on 2018-2019 Tacomas due to the danger of water entering into the sensor, they made that public. Technically, removing and reinstalling that sensor requires it to be recalibrated, but Toyota will not recalibrate a sensor that isn't in the factory configuration.

I want to get this Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro Grill 3rd Gen | (2016-2022) (https://highcountryoffroad.com/product/3rd-gen-toyota-tacoma-grill-trd-pro-grille/) grille but am confused. While it's true that plenty of people have lifts and aftermarket tires, and aftermarket grills and have passed calibration proving the tolerances of the sensor allow for these modifications. I don't want to make a bad move. What has been your expperience ?
As long as you buy a decent grill it's fine. A proper grill will keep the same angle and operate similar to the factory grill. If changing the grill triggers warnings, then they may not calibrate it since it's a change you made. If it's sensor failure and recall related, any good dealership will understand and know that and take care of it for you. Some are just stubborn and suck. Depends on the dealer. I've removed and installed my sensor multiple times. Even drove without it and/or the grill. Plugged it back in and it was fine. I also had to shim mine for fitment and it still worked. Some with more drastic changed in height and angle the truck rides require recalibration.

If you look around, there are threads and Youtube videos to calibrate the TSS Sensor yourself. I think it's just cleaning it and keeping it clear of obstructions and it should recalibrate on it's own.
It's a safety feature, so if anything were to happen, you wouldn't be able to sue Toyota. But over all since it's a feature, you kind of can't. Since you're using it at your own risk. It's just there to prevent accidents when it can without guarantees.
If you were to have any issues after, go back to the factory one and see if it's still there. As long as you take your time and not break any tabs and revert back to factory it should be taken care of. Worst case you would pay an hour of shop time for the recalibration. It's just how much you want the grill. I'd say most people didn't have any issue switching, the ones that took it in just went in too early without letting it settle. The rare and few that needed to be recalibrated just had out of spec grills, crushed wires or bent a pin on the connectors. Just being their fault. Then it's up to the dealer if they want to be cool about covering that or not.

Back