SUSPENSION Rear shock Upgrade

• ⚙️ 3rd & 4th Gen Toyota Tacomas | Tacoma3G

🌮 Tacoma3G.com is an online resource and community for 2016+ Toyota Tacoma owners.

👤 Registration is completely free and only takes a few seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig on the forum!

♥️ Beginner friendly. Tight-knit. No ads. The raddest. Read more about us...

LaSmurf_4x4

✓ • Bronze
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Sport
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#3,227
Good afternoon Tacoma Fam. So I have 4” bds suspension lift kit on my Taco with 2.0 mono tube Fox shocks and one of them snapped yesterday As I was driving to work.

Does anyone know if I can upgrade the mono to one with a reservoir or 2.5 that would still work with my lift?

Attachments

• EEADB86B-F738-4BFD-90F7-4D7967AFF503.jpeg
    EEADB86B-F738-4BFD-90F7-4D7967AFF503.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 10
  • B4F59F35-3EDA-4C3A-84BB-45D6CF27C6A1.jpeg
    B4F59F35-3EDA-4C3A-84BB-45D6CF27C6A1.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 10

Berserker__taco

✓ • Diamond
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Color
Magnetic Gray
Truck Grade
SR
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#4,543
You can upgrade to any style so lo g as the shock is the proper length. 2.5 with or without a remote reservoir will work fine and be a nice upgrade. Just make sure they're the proper length

LaSmurf_4x4

✓ • Bronze
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Sport
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#3,227
You can upgrade to any style so lo g as the shock is the proper length. 2.5 with or without a remote reservoir will work fine and be a nice upgrade. Just make sure they're the proper length
I would look at those specs and try to find one thank you 👍🏻

LaSmurf_4x4

✓ • Bronze
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Sport
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#3,227
how did that even break!?! Definitely warranty it so you can sell the set.

-M
It was past warranty date so they did not cover it unfortunately

Biohazard

✓ • Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#6,304
Any appropriate length shock is fine, but if I were you I'd replace the other side as well if you go with a different shock, otherwise you'll have different rates of compression and rebound, and consequent potential for dangerous handling, especially with a load.

New Holland Overland

✓ • Aficionado
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
Were the shocks you had (the one that broke) proper length for your setup? That break looks like the shock was short and ripped itself apart

bonifacio

✓ • Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Off-Road
T3G Member
#2,531
Wonder which Fox struts they are. Most of the single tube IFP shocks I've seen for Fox have been 2" max. Usually less because of sag and how each manufacturer measures amount of lift.

LaSmurf_4x4

✓ • Bronze
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Sport
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#3,227
Were the shocks you had (the one that broke) proper length for your setup? That break looks like the shock was short and ripped itself apart
According to the BDS Lift I purchased back 4 years ago thats what the kit comes with.

LaSmurf_4x4

✓ • Bronze
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Sport
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#3,227
Wonder which Fox struts they are. Most of the single tube IFP shocks I've seen for Fox have been 2" max. Usually less because of sag and how each manufacturer measures amount of lift.
That's the weird thing when i look up the part number its something different. So I'm assuming its a special shock bds and fox made. I tried looking for different fox shocks with same measurements and they didn't have any. so i just ended up purchasing the same ones replacing both though.

bonifacio

✓ • Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Off-Road
T3G Member
#2,531
That's the weird thing when i look up the part number its something different. So I'm assuming its a special shock bds and fox made. I tried looking for different fox shocks with same measurements and they didn't have any. so i just ended up purchasing the same ones replacing both though.
I feel like you'll run into the same issue eventually. Really don't think they accommodate that height/travel.

Sometimes. Usually the left and right will each have their own separate part numbers. Then some will sell both as a set as another part number, then show it includes the 2. Only other thing I can think of is they used another vehicles shock to compensate for the height.

980-24-670 - I'm gonna guess this was what came with it? Listed for 0-1" if lift.

985-24-117 - This is a reservoir one for 2"-3".

985-24-118 - This is a reservoir one for 3.5-5".

For the 985-24-117 and 985-24-118, I am guessing the 2"-3" and 3.5"/5" is for the 2nd Gen. The weight difference from the 3rd Gen would make that .25"-.5" lower. I'd definitely go with one of these. 985-24-117 if it's on the 3" blocks. 985-24-118 if you're going to swap to full leafs at some point.

LaSmurf_4x4

✓ • Bronze
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Sport
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#3,227
I feel like you'll run into the same issue eventually. Really don't think they accommodate that height/travel.

Sometimes. Usually the left and right will each have their own separate part numbers. Then some will sell both as a set as another part number, then show it includes the 2. Only other thing I can think of is they used another vehicles shock to compensate for the height.

980-24-670 - I'm gonna guess this was what came with it? Listed for 0-1" if lift.

985-24-117 - This is a reservoir one for 2"-3".

985-24-118 - This is a reservoir one for 3.5-5".

For the 985-24-117 and 985-24-118, I am guessing the 2"-3" and 3.5"/5" is for the 2nd Gen. The weight difference from the 3rd Gen would make that .25"-.5" lower. I'd definitely go with one of these. 985-24-117 if it's on the 3" blocks. 985-24-118 if you're going to swap to full leafs at some point.
So when i looked up the specs for the BDS /FoX ones that came with the kit it states that they are
26.15 Extended Length and 16.05 Compressed

When I looked up 985-24-118 it shows
24.8 Extended Length and 15.2 Compressed

which to me it doesn't make sense ,it does say for 3.5"-5" lift but yet they are shorter than what i currently have.
My truck has a 3" rear block