• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Rear Limit straps

Hunter399

5️⃣ Platinum
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
I finally got around to installing @ARCHIVE hammer hangers, 3.6” shackle, cross tube, unbolt flip and bumps.

I have icon rxt leaf packs set at stage 2 and bilstein 8100’s for my rear suspension. So I need to instal limit straps as my rear shocks are the limiting factor and not long travel.

Does anyone have any pics or install info on how to Instal limit straps properly? I did order @ARCHIVE limit strap tabs so far.

My personal opinion; mount the lower tab off the "top" of the axle inline with the strap (everything should look like its in a big straight line like shown in the photo below). Then weld a small 2"x2" plate to your frame (outside of the frame if you dont have a boxed frame), then weld your clevis mount to the small plate. Welding the small plate will disperse the load of the clevis mount over a larger surface area on your frame (Not completely necessary, but I like to overbuild things and rather be safe than sorry). When mounting your limit strap its best not to go completely vertical as you want the clevis mount and the tab to clear eachother under full bump. The biggest thing in all of this is to make sure your limit strap, your lower mount, and your clevis mount are all "inline" with one another.

Also make sure your Kartek logo is facing the tire (facing outside the vehicle) as this will allow the strap to bend inwards and not outwards (could rub tire).

image reference (This is what you should try to replicate, but mount yours on the outside of your frame since you most likely dont have a boxed frame).
1609873008354.png

You will need an adjustable clevis mount if you dont have one already.
1609873241920.png

Thanks for the reply! Very detailed, I appreciate the help. Would you recommend welding the tabs then ordering the strap after measuring? Or you have a recommended starting point for a strap length I can order and be able to adjust it with the adjustable clevis

Thanks for the reply! Very detailed, I appreciate the help. Would you recommend welding the tabs then ordering the strap after measuring? Or you have a recommended starting point for a strap length I can order and be able to adjust it with the adjustable clevis
The way I personally did mine: Lift the truck so your axle is at full droop with your shocks. Then I tacked the lower tabs onto the axle first, then with a straight ruler/measuring device I measured up to the bottom of the frame and thats what gave me my strap length (round to the nearest whole number (Example: 12.25" = 12" strap). You have some flexibility at the top where the adjustable clevis mount is since you can screw that either up or down to do the final adjustments to your strap.

Keep in mind for every 12" of strap there is 1" of stretch. So at full droop with full load, a 12" strap is actually a 13" strap.

Here is a good video to help you out as well.
Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHhkfGlDLrQ

You don’t absolutely need an adjustable clevis, you can do as mentioned above, weld tab to axle at full droop, then raise the rear axle 1”-1.5” from full droop and tack the top. At full stretch of the strap you should be half an inch from bottom if you went 1.5”. I mention this because I did not add an adjustable clevis on my setup as I have no real intentions on adjusting the clevis

Back