• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Rear disc brake conversion

shytown

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 Sport DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Has anyone here done a rear disc brake conversion or know someone that's done it on a 3G taco? I'm starting my research and thinking about doing it on my 2018

what model do you have. if its an Offroad its going to be damn near impossible because of the electronic brake booster

I wonder if anyone has taken the whole rear axle from a 4RUNNER and regeared it to keep factory rear disc brakes on a Tacoma.

It is interesting that none of the kits available specify that they are not for TRD Off-Road or TRD Pro.

My question is why? The stock brakes are pretty good.

-M

Ive blown 3 wheel cylinders in 60K miles...the drums on these trucks are a joke. I plan to do the disc conversion next spring, shouldnt be an issue with the brake booster having an OR.

Have you seen the brake booster?
Meaning what exactly? Under or oversized? I absolutely am not following this at all.

I live in Central PA and the mountains, inclines, and curvy hills are too plentiful to have to rely on drum brakes. I'm not sure why vehicles are still being made with drums when rotors are a better and safer route.

Over three months ago. I've been down and out with a broken left leg. I'm sure there is a diverter or regulator for the drums at some point within the system to reduce pressure. Unless I am totally wrong. I haven't done any research on this.

I don't mind tube bending and flaring. Part of a past job was making tubing systems for compressed natural gas at 4500PSI.

Friends, this is the Grumpy Ol' Sarge. My recommendation is it's much better to UPGRADE with the Pedders Conversion or Silvermine Motors Kits. Other grumpy old retired military Tacomaniacs I know have used both kits and I'm sold. ALSO, as a Master Auto Tech with almost 50yrs as a Gearhead (HotRods, Harleys, and 4X4's), my Spouse and I are installing the Silvermine Motors kits on our pair of 2023 Tacos (TRD-OR and SR5 Trail) we bought recently for our 39th Anniversary. Will keep U posted on progress. Happy Holidays and GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Friends, this is the Grumpy Ol' Sarge. My recommendation is it's much better to UPGRADE with the Pedders Conversion or Silvermine Motors Kits. Other grumpy old retired military Tacomaniacs I know have used both kits and I'm sold. ALSO, as a Master Auto Tech with almost 50yrs as a Gearhead (HotRods, Harleys, and 4X4's), my Spouse and I are installing the Silvermine Motors kits on our pair of 2023 Tacos (TRD-OR and SR5 Trail) we bought recently for our 39th Anniversary. Will keep U posted on progress. Happy Holidays and GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Hi, do you have a link to those kits you’re referencing here?

Hi, do you have a link to those kits you’re referencing here?
Could be a bot.

Some of the mountain passes and trails out here make me wish for better brakes.
Does your transmission work? Even with disc brakes, you shouldn't be riding the brakes down a mountain pass. I towed my camp trailer over Sonora pass and it did just fine.

Back