• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

Tacoma3G is a beginner-friendly 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma (2016-2023 model-years) forum. We are a community of people who are focused on good information and good vibes. T3G is the passion-project of a USMC/Toyota technician.

Radio Dead

Freebird

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road. Bought new and have just over 18,000 miles on it. Everything was fine when I drove it yesterday. Got it in this morning and the radio. screen never came on. Just a black screen. Have checked the fuses and all are good if I found them all. Radio fuse 1 and fuse 2 under the hood. There is one inside which I read could cause it. It's a 7.5 amp acc fuse. Not sure if it would cause the problem or not but it's good also. The only time the screen comes on is the reverse camera, otherwise it's black. Tried holding the power button a few seconds which supposedly resets it but that didn't do anything. I can tell it's turning on and off because if I tuirn it on, I can hear static which will increase and decrease with the volume knob. So, I'm thinking the head unit is just bad but am open to suggestions. I did set an appointment for 3:00 Monday to get it checked.

Ye gods that's some low mileage! I thought mine was low at 60k on a 2017.

Sounds like you have an excuse to upgrade to a new head unit!

There's been a few cases I've seen where a ground wire fell out of the factory wiring harness on the earlier 3g's. Might want to pull the headunit out (very easy to do) and check those connections. If that is the issue it should just need to be popped back into the harness.

I don't have a lot of miles on it because my wife has some health problems and doesn't drive much or even leave the house very often. Also, she has a 2014 Camaro convertible that she enjoys driving when she can. Heck, her Camaro ionly has 22,000 miles on it; I work a lot, self employed, and my work vehicle is a Chrysler Pacifica. I drive it most of the time. As for pulling it and checking the ground, I might have done that had I known but since I've already taken it in and they have a new unit ordered, I'll just let them replace it at this point. Under warranty so not costing me anything.

There's been a few cases I've seen where a ground wire fell out of the factory wiring harness on the earlier 3g's. Might want to pull the headunit out (very easy to do) and check those connections. If that is the issue it should just need to be popped back into the harness.

They actually called today to let me know that they have my new radio. They can’t get to me until next Tuesday however. I starting thinking about it and decided to check the connectors as you suggested. If that was indeed the issue, the new radio wasn’t going to solve the problem anyway. I pulled it out though and found all the pins appeared to be properly inserted. Thanks for the suggestion. It was easy enough to check.

2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road. Bought new and have just over 18,000 miles on it. Everything was fine when I drove it yesterday. Got it in this morning and the radio. screen never came on. Just a black screen. Have checked the fuses and all are good if I found them all. Radio fuse 1 and fuse 2 under the hood. There is one inside which I read could cause it. It's a 7.5 amp acc fuse. Not sure if it would cause the problem or not but it's good also. The only time the screen comes on is the reverse camera, otherwise it's black. Tried holding the power button a few seconds which supposedly resets it but that didn't do anything. I can tell it's turning on and off because if I tuirn it on, I can hear static which will increase and decrease with the volume knob. So, I'm thinking the head unit is just bad but am open to suggestions. I did set an appointment for 3:00 Monday to get it checked.
Any update?

It was a bad radio. They ordered e new one. They got it in a couple of days a installed it a week later. It solved the issue. I’ve since traded it in on a new ’24 model TRD Off Road with the Premium package.

Back