• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Radar Cruise & brake lights

NMBruce

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Quicksand
Last night coming home, I had the cruise set at 60 and the truck in front of me slowed for a 45 mph speed limit by braking, so the radar cruise control slowed my truck, but I didn’t see my brake lights come on. Since I don’t know how this system works, I am wondering if this is safe. For vehicles behind me, i think it would seem that my brake lights are out.

Last night coming home, I had the cruise set at 60 and the truck in front of me slowed for a 45 mph speed limit by braking, so the radar cruise control slowed my truck, but I didn’t see my brake lights come on. Since I don’t know how this system works, I am wondering if this is safe. For vehicles behind me, i think it would seem that my brake lights are out.

As far as I know the brake lights don’t go on. I thought the computer uses the motor/ trans to slow down the truck?

Last edited:
I've definitely had brakes applied for radar cruise. As in "clickity click click" brakes being modulated like when using downhill assist control (checked the feature once just to see how it worked...).
Happened when a guy pulled in front of me suddenly.

I've definitely had brakes applied for radar cruise. As in "clickity click click" brakes being modulated like when using downhill assist control (checked the feature once just to see how it worked...).
Happened when a guy pulled in front of me suddenly.

Maybe it only happens in a rapid deceleration? I’ve never seen the brakes applied when cruising hwy speeds and someone comes within the radar range.

You know, I always thought it was odd that the blinkers have lights in the dash to show when they are engaged but the brakes did not.

Getting a recall done on wife’s GX460, Lexus says the lights come on

No brakes lights applied. Brakes works and slows you down. So if the person behind u they’ll be freaked out!

Maybe it only happens in a rapid deceleration? I’ve never seen the brakes applied when cruising hwy speeds and someone comes within the radar range.
Rapid decel. and it's really aggressive about it. First time I had it happened to me, someone cut me off doing a quick 3 lane merge on the highway. Went from 70 to 40 in the time it took the guy to clear the lane, then with the new found space and being well below the set speed the truck floors.

But, yeah your brake lights should be coming on. It was hard to tell with the factory bulbs but after switching to LEDs I can easily notice, that and my RTT lighting up in my rear view mirror

If your cruise control is set and you start heading down hill, will the truck attempt to slow down to the set cruise speed or will it coast?

Lame. So when we’re driving and braking down a mountain everyone behind us is going to wonder why the jackass in the Tacoma is riding their brakes downhill.

Mine feels like it hits the brakes and engine brakes when the radar kicks in and tries to maintain distance between the vehicle in front of me. I guess it's "safer," but I don't like it.
On that note, I just learned how to disable the adaptive cruise control/radar to make it like traditional cruise control. To do so all you have to do is hold in the On/Off button for the cruise control for about 2-3 seconds when turning it on.

Living in the mountains, I find that when going down a mountain pass with cruise on, I can see the tach go up and that says the engine is doing some work. Now I do not use the cruise, I use the gears

Back