• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Rack and Pinion R&R

Jonnybobcat

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
My 2017 4x4 Trd Off-road has never been offroad and I'm at 35,000 miles. At a recent tire rotation, it was noted by the service rep that my rack and pinion shows leaking and needs replacing. I'm thinking that I shouldn't need to deal with this until 100,000 to 150,000 miles unless I've been out doing something dramatic, not just city street driving. Has anyone else had premature issues with your rack and pinion?
My photos are from both sides, the right side shows the slight residue on the rubber protective cover. Nothing to see on the left.

Attachments

• 20240130_171932.jpg
    20240130_171932.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240130_171834.jpg
    20240130_171834.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 22
Yes, I have a problem with R&P at 25k miles. Not leaking but during rotation/alignment it was discovered to have excessive play making for loose steering and control. Estimates are around $2500 to replace including 4 wheel alignment. Not too happy about it but am doing research to discover if replacing with OE or aftermarket for best resullts and hopefully better longevity... 18/TRD OR, no serious mods

Thanks.
I've read several comments from others with same/similar R&P issues with low miles. I thought that it would be a little less common than what it appears to be. Dealership was over $3k. My mechanic was $600 less with rebuilt R&P (dealership was also going to be with a rebuild).
I bought Toyota for it's "PAST" build quality and longevity. I'm not sensing much of either, lately.

Agree, build quality and longevity are not what it used to be. Wish there were more options to address this particular problem that offer better quality/value. There is the Tundra mod but IMO it is cost prohibitive and doesn't seam to have any history of success. SO I going for the OE replacement and hoping for the best...

Thanks.
I've read several comments from others with same/similar R&P issues with low miles. I thought that it would be a little less common than what it appears to be. Dealership was over $3k. My mechanic was $600 less with rebuilt R&P (dealership was also going to be with a rebuild).
I bought Toyota for it's "PAST" build quality and longevity. I'm not sensing much of either, lately.
Get a new rack not a Re-Manufactured,....
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHnXhfikqeU

Back