• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Race Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrojanMan60

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2016 SR5 DCSB Auto
White
I know this is probably the wrong place to ask for advice on this, but you are the most knowledgable guys I know, so don't get TOO upset with me.
My buddy is looking to build a sleeper out of his daily driver (a 2013 VW Jetta SEL), but neither of us have the know how to do so. We don't want to risk blowing his dd up by just throwing on a turbo and letting it rip, but we want to be able to rule the highway lmao. Any tips would be great! Or recommendations on where to find a better forum to ask around on!

Have you looked at vwvortex.com? That’s a huge VW forum.

That has the 2.5L? Integrated Engineering has a nice kit for those. They claim 40hp and 12lb-ft.

In another life I was a VW nerd (still am ?).

That 2.5l, while yes you can do anything with enough money, it's not my first choice for a build. Swap a 2.0t motor in it and you're on the right path. You want to really blow the doors off the highway, drop a 3.2 or 3.6 VR6 motor and slap a snail on it. Then there's a 4 motion/haldex swap if you want even more.

I guess the real question is what's your budget ?

That 2.5l, while yes you can do anything with enough money, it's not my first choice for a build. Swap a 2.0t motor in it and you're on the right path. You want to really blow the doors off the highway, drop a 3.2 or 3.6 VR6 motor and slap a snail on it. Then there's a 4 motion/haldex swap if you want even more.

This is your answer. Andy is a VW expert more so than a Tacoma expert. I’m not even sure why he pretends to have a Tacoma when we really know he’s a VW guy.

I mean we want to keep it low budget, but we understand it’s going to take some money to start flying! Don’t mind my noob question, but what’s a snail..?

I suppose that's based off what they look like.

Bingo ??

And yeah @TrojanMan60 it's really all a matter of what you want to spend. Honestly with that 2.5l motor the easiest way to go real quick would be a turbo kit, software, and full exhaust. The standard intake, software, and exhaust won't net you much on that NA motor. The VW factory turbo engines respond really well to tuning but the NA (especially the 2.5) not so much.

Bingo ??

And yeah @TrojanMan60 it's really all a matter of what you want to spend. Honestly with that 2.5l motor the easiest way to go real quick would be a turbo kit, software, and full exhaust. The standard intake, software, and exhaust won't net you much on that NA motor. The VW factory turbo engines respond really well to tuning but the NA (especially the 2.5) not so much.
Do you have any recommendations on brands for turbos and which software to get to start?

I don't. I haven't followed which companies have been producing what in the last few years. So you'll have to research that yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back