• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Electrical Push Button Start

DKamp

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2021 SR5 DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
I have a 21, SR5 Double cab with Key Ignition. Is there a Push button start kit that can be added?

I've never heard of anyone doing that swap nor have I seen a kit that would let you do it...but I has to be possible since some Tacos have them and some don't, right? I would think there would be an aftermarket kit somewhere. Maybe something for all Toyotas generically? It's a good question.

I asked the Dealer before the purchase and they told the SR and SR5 did not have Push Button start, but the TRD did.
I was hoping for an aftermarket kit would exist and surface. ;)

I asked the Dealer before the purchase and they told the SR and SR5 did not have Push Button start, but the TRD did.
I was hoping for an aftermarket kit would exist and surface. ;)
I have TRD OR and it doesn't have push button. I prefer it that way but I still like the idea of a conversion kit.

I'm sure there has to be a way to get all the parts for an OEM Push button start, but I think it will also require access to techstream to modify the computer. Push button start is one of those features that are better to come with the truck than add on later.

Last edited:
I guess I will be happy with what i have.
but keeping my eyes open.

I'm with 3 cent, I don't think I would trust anything other then Toyota on a start button, and aftermarket product like that, they would void your warranty

One big problem with the push button start is the key fob emanates a signal with a code that is recognized by the truck. The fob is broadcasting this signal at all times. Thieves can scan to pick up the code then recreate code on another aftermarket fob. At that point they can walk up to your truck open the door and drive off with your truck. If you leave your car in a parking lot or a driveway it is susceptible to this kind of theft. You can turn off the fob from sending the signal so it isn't broadcasting at all times, but then it is a set up like the older version of a key and fob. If I had the choice I would stick with the tried and true key with fob where you need to push the button to get into the truck.

One big problem with the push button start is the key fob emanates a signal with a code that is recognized by the truck. The fob is broadcasting this signal at all times. Thieves can scan to pick up the code then recreate code on another aftermarket fob. At that point they can walk up to your truck open the door and drive off with your truck. If you leave your car in a parking lot or a driveway it is susceptible to this kind of theft. You can turn off the fob from sending the signal so it isn't broadcasting at all times, but then it is a set up like the older version of a key and fob. If I had the choice I would stick with the tried and true key with fob where you need to push the button to get into the truck.
Sure about that? I thought there was a small, completely weather sealed piece that didn't emit anything unless it was "checked" by the sensors inside the truck. I've messed around with aftermarket key fobs, and there's a little sunflower seed sized piece that does the push button start sensor duty, but no battery or connection to a battery that could "constantly transmit."

Never own a vehicle with push start...before.... Have to say ...love it! Never want to go back to using keys!

last time I had a push-start...was my standard Datsun truck...dead battery..so we push the truck to start the engine!
Aloha

have you notice ...sometimes you push the wrong button..or it is hard to see..?
MESO..makes a red color button....can’ wait to get one...looks easy to install..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back