• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Project- Replacing side windows on a Leer 100R

Sangi

5️⃣ Platinum
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Long Island, New York/Wurtsboro, New York
2016 Sport DCSB Auto
Inferno
Hey all, I wanted to pick everyone's brain for a possible small project I've been thinking about.

I recently swapped my CBI bedrack for a Leer 100R. I got a great price on it, and it was used so I didn't have to deal with waiting. Problem is, it came with sliding windows on the sides and I'm tossing around the idea of swapping them out for the windoors.

Part 1: Replacing them looks easy enough but I can't find anything on the windoor "replacement." I figured if I could just buy the whole assembly and just swap it in, saving some money and headaches instead of dealing with stealerships or truck cap places. However I can't, for the life of me, find anything on the internet on replacement assemblies. Wondering if anyone has ever done anything similar with their 100R and can give any advice/thoughts/comments.

Part 2: This is where things get spicy. A buddy and I were thinking about taking the windoor, removing the glass, and replacing it with a similar thickness sheet of aluminum. This will allow for mounting gear on the outside (thinking about my maxtrax specifically) and smaller gear inside, on the windows, out of the elements. This part obviously cant happen without the first part but at this point I'm actually thinking this will be the easier challenge of the two. Would love to hear peoples thoughts on this as well!

Are the windoors the exact same size and shape? I have a vague memory of reading someone's struggles replacing a window like that (found it). I know you want to avoid them, but have you been in touch with any Leer dealers? They might have some idea but it sounds like that is hit and miss too. Sorry, I'm not much help beyond that.

I like the aluminum idea. That's a nice compromise between having toolboxes on the sides, interior space, and access from outside. Keep us updated!

Are the windoors the exact same size and shape? I have a vague memory of reading someone's struggles replacing a window like that (found it). I know you want to avoid them, but have you been in touch with any Leer dealers? They might have some idea but it sounds like that is hit and miss too. Sorry, I'm not much help beyond that.

I like the aluminum idea. That's a nice compromise between having toolboxes on the sides, interior space, and access from outside. Keep us updated!
Hey every comment helps! I've never seen anything like this before so I appreciate all comments for this DIY. Unfortunately the one dealer nearby is known for being downright terrible, and I personally had two bad experiences with them, so they're out. I'm probably going to hit up the other two dealers in the next county, see what they say.

Other than that I think my first order of business is to find another tacoma guy who's local who has a leer 100r with windoors. If I can match measurements between the two caps, part one of my project is golden.

I have a Snugtop GBsport and would love to have windoors. I've toyed with the idea of doing a custom, but it might be beyond my skils and then I'd ruin the top. Either way, look up "diy gul wing door" on youtube and you'lll find projects where guys have done it on their SUVs.

-M

Me personally I would do your idea with your buddy instead of replacing it with windoor. I'd like the idea of having a custom tool storage type of thing, it'll also (again in my opinion) look better. Plus I like having as much privacy as possible especially with people at my firehouse trying to pull pranks on me 24/7

I have a Snugtop GBsport and would love to have windoors. I've toyed with the idea of doing a custom, but it might be beyond my skils and then I'd ruin the top. Either way, look up "diy gul wing door" on youtube and you'lll find projects where guys have done it on their SUVs.

-M
Thanks, I will certainly take a look. Trying to steer away from a full custom side panel/windoor, but, it may come to that if replacements are too expensive. I'm seeing alot of woes from people saying replacement windows/sliders/windoors are all pretty expensive.

Me personally I would do your idea with your buddy instead of replacing it with windoor. I'd like the idea of having a custom tool storage type of thing, it'll also (again in my opinion) look better. Plus I like having as much privacy as possible especially with people at my firehouse trying to pull pranks on me 24/7
Actually, the real objective is to use the windoor, but just replace the glass with aluminum. Best of both worlds. Retain the functionality of the windoor, but have the sturdiness, and modability of the solid aluminum for mounting.

Back