• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Potential new owner

That's a low markup, around here (Maryland) it ranges from $5000-$7500. I don't mind paying the sticker price, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay an extra $7500 on top of that. Market adjustment fee is just a fancy way of saying "Hey it's a popular truck, so we're going to really screw everybody that wants one, and get a HYUUUUUGE commission".
In 2004, we bought a 1 ton Duramax crew cab long bed single rear wheel axle truck, brand spankin' new for the same thing they're selling these Tacomas for (before the markup). I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around that, lol. I understand that prices go up, and 2004 was a long time ago, but it really annoys me to deal with a bunch of scheisters, and price gouging really pisses me off. /end rant.

Be it 2k or 5-7k, these markups are honestly scummy. Price gouging pisses me off, too. I feel even worse for the people that really NEED a vehicle but can't afford them due to the markups and crazy market.

Truthfully, I don't NEED a truck, my old Subaru keeps on rolling. But, yeah, if I was desperate, I'd be looking at another brand at this point.

Well, all the hopes and wishful thinking has finally paid off. This afternoon, I put a deposit down on my Off Road. It's being built on 4/9, and I should have it by May.

I'm really stoked, but it's gonna be a LOOONNGG month!

So, a few details on what I was holding out for.

2022 Tacoma Off Road, Lunar Rock, manual transmission, blackout package (not really a deal breaker for me without it), performance exhaust, no moonroof, and the lowest level tech package available.

I will be having some tube steps available for sale (probably), I don't really want them, but the dealer told me that it was probably too late to decline them, so meh. And all weather mats, which I'm not a huge fan of, but might be nice to have going to marinas.

First purchase/upgrade will be an ARB front bumper. I had one on my Samurai, and that thing was a truck saver...plus ARB is a GREAT company to work with. Time to start saving up for that! Probably will leave it pretty stock other than the bumper.

Sounds like you have it pretty well figured out. Now come all the damn 4-6 month waits for all your accessories.

Sounds like you have it pretty well figured out. Now come all the damn 4-6 month waits for all your accessories.

As long as I've got my truck, I'll be happy to wait (I say this now, lol).

Last year, I put a deposit down on our jon boat, then wait 7 months to get it. I've gotten good at the wait.

Last edited:
So, a few details on what I was holding out for.

2022 Tacoma Off Road, Lunar Rock, manual transmission, blackout package (not really a deal breaker for me without it), performance exhaust, no moonroof, and the lowest level tech package available.

I will be having some tube steps available for sale (probably), I don't really want them, but the dealer told me that it was probably too late to decline them, so meh. And all weather mats, which I'm not a huge fan of, but might be nice to have going to marinas.

First purchase/upgrade will be an ARB front bumper. I had one on my Samurai, and that thing was a truck saver...plus ARB is a GREAT company to work with. Time to start saving up for that! Probably will leave it pretty stock other than the bumper.
Super jealous about Lunar Rock. That color is BEAUTIFUL. And a manual!? The bold comment...we all say that :ROFLMAO:

Super jealous about Lunar Rock. That color is BEAUTIFUL. And a manual!? The bold comment...we all say that :ROFLMAO:
I really like that color. I was originally looking at Army green, but the more I saw Lunar rock, the more I liked it.

And, yeah, it was the same with my Samurai. First it was replace the suspension, then lifted it, then lifted it more, then swapped out the whole SPOA suspension for Old Man Emu spring under, with 31" Trxxus tires, a 4.89:1 Tcase gear swap with a 16 valve Tracker engine, Mighty Kong Tcase armor, etc....

I know EXACTLY how it goes, lol. Just going to be a LOT more expensive with this truck, and will need to wait out the warranty first

Pic of my old Zook (what a fun truck!)

Attachments

• zook.jpg
    zook.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
That's not a bad wait these days at about a month. When my sister was looking for a 4Runner in October last year she was looking at a potential 3 month wait. And that was just for something coming in that wasn't sold already.

Congrats. Eager to see the real piece.

That's not a bad wait these days at about a month. When my sister was looking for a 4Runner in October last year she was looking at a potential 3 month wait. And that was just for something coming in that wasn't sold already.

I'm sure. I looked for about 4 months for something that wasn't already sold before it got on the lot. I was more or less shopping for a dealer that would really WORK to get what I wanted, and then it was waiting for Toyota to make a few manuals, but it always seemed like I was a day late. I really just got lucky (for a change).

I'm sure. I looked for about 4 months for something that wasn't already sold before it got on the lot. I was more or less shopping for a dealer that would really WORK to get what I wanted, and then it was waiting for Toyota to make a few manuals, but it always seemed like I was a day late. I really just got lucky (for a change).
I think the key word is them wanting to work for you. Luckily the dealership we go to there's a few people I've known for a long time (20 years) working there. She used the same salesman I got my truck from and I went with her.

Funny thing was when we found her 4Runner and marked it for her not 10 minutes later I overheard someone working with another salesman looking for the exact same car (white, SR5 premium) and he couldn't find one. That's all it would have taken for her to lose out and have to wait.

Hey!

I'm in the process of considering a new Tacoma. I know it doesn't sound like I'm very committed at this point, but I like to do a bit of research before I buy. (I lurked for a while before joining this forum).

I have one concern regarding buying a Tacoma...will my husband fir in it? He's a big guy (6'5"), and I just want to be sure that someone his size can not only fit in it, but drive it comfortably (no point owning a vehicle that we both can't drive.)

I'm looking at a 2022 TRD off road, manual trans, double cab short bed; there's actually a couple local to me. What say you forum? Will he fit? Any other big guys out there driving one?

Comments/advice always welcome!
I'm 6'3" and I fit but hard on the lower back, got seat jackers from desertdoesit and no more low back issues, hope this helps.

So, good news!! My truck has finally arrived. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow, since the dealership is located about 2 hours away, still needs inspected, etc.

I'm so stoked!!! Picks to follow when I get it home.

Thanks, everyone for all the encouragement, advice, etc...

So, good news!! My truck has finally arrived. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow, since the dealership is located about 2 hours away, still needs inspected, etc.

Congrats... Let the mods begin. JK. Just enjoy the truck for a while and see what you like and don't like. Then tweak it to your liking.

Congrats! Whatcha get? 👀

Awesome!! Can't wait to see it!

It was pretty late when we got it home yesterday, and it's pissing rain today (of course). I will get some pics up as soon as the rain stops.

It's a 2022 TRD Offroad, manual, Lunar Rock. It's beautiful, pictures don't really do it justice. It had a whole 6 miles on the odometer when we left the dealership, but the drive home put another 120 on it.

I love it. I think I'm gonna name her Bessie...

A few rainy day pics.

Attachments

• 20220527_120233.jpg
    20220527_120233.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220527_120022.jpg
    20220527_120022.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 20220527_115930.jpg
    20220527_115930.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20220527_115925.jpg
    20220527_115925.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20220527_115940(1).jpg
    20220527_115940(1).jpg
    154 KB · Views: 75
Don't worry, it won't stay that way.

She's not a Bessie. She's Fancy. Rob and i were joking that my truck is fancier than his Crosstrek. This morning, when we were going around a turn (a little quicker than we should have been), I hear him say "Come on Fancy, haul it". It works. So, Fancy it is.

Last edited:
Back