• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Possible to add OEM premium features?

DickTrickle

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2022 SR5 DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
I’ve got myself a SR5 but find myself wishing I had some of those premium features found on pricier trims. For example,

-rear locker
-wireless carplay/charging
-outlet for power in the bed
-keyless start
-smart entry (without pushing a button)
-etc

Has anyone added these to their trucks or is it even worth the trouble/expense? I know there are aftermarket options for most of this but I like the idea of sticking with Tacoma parts. Thanks.

Last edited:
I can say adding carplay seems easy, definitely on my to buy list. I've seen an outlet put in some trucks beds before, I'm not an electrician but it looked super easy. For keyless start, do you mean the push to start or remote starter? Cause you can get a few aftermarket remote starts but I would recommend finding what Toyota uses for TRD's. And if you want smart entry, at that point I'd recommend buying a TRD instead... that seems too complicated for me at least

Honestly, I think the keyless entry is the only one on your list that needs to come from the factory. The others can be aftermarket, and in some cases can be easily better than stock. The inverter in particular is nice to have but is fairly low wattage.

I'm not sure of how easily the OEM parts can be installed in an SR5 mostly because of how the ECU is tied into everything these days, but you might be able to find them from totaled trucks that are being parted out. Just a thought.

Everything OEM should fit fine, but as Meclizine said, it comes down to if the ECU is happy with what you do. I don't think it'll be a big problem, but I'd talk to your local Toyota dealer about all these things see what they say

*The OEM rear locker can only be engaged in 4 Low, not a high priority on my list.
*Key fob for entry is the way to go but everyone likes choices.
*OEM Keyless start does exactly that , however when you open the door the vehicle will shut off. (for safety reasons) not a fan.
*For 110v power install an aftermarket inverter under the hood and run an outlet (more power and operates at full voltage all the time when on)

Just my 2 pennies worth...

*The OEM rear locker can only be engaged in 4 Low, not a high priority on my list.
*Key fob for entry is the way to go but everyone likes choices.
*OEM Keyless start does exactly that , however when you open the door the vehicle will shut off. (for safety reasons) not a fan.
*For 110v power install an aftermarket inverter under the hood and run an outlet (more power and operates at full voltage all the time when on)

Just my 2 pennies worth...
Didn't I see a forum on here a while ago about somebody installing an outlet in their Taco here? Also I hate how it shuts off when you open the door does anybody know a loop hole so it doesn't do that? My bosses 2014 Charger has remote start and doesn't shut off when he gets in he just has to hit the power on button like he's turning on the car normally, same with my mom's 2015 GMC 1500, but she doesn't have push to start so she puts the key in and "turns it on" I wish I could find a way around this safety feature...

I can say adding carplay seems easy, definitely on my to buy list. I've seen an outlet put in some trucks beds before, I'm not an electrician but it looked super easy. For keyless start, do you mean the push to start or remote starter? Cause you can get a few aftermarket remote starts but I would recommend finding what Toyota uses for TRD's. And if you want smart entry, at that point I'd recommend buying a TRD instead... that seems too complicated for me at least
I have seen the plug-in wireless CarPlay adapter which would work but was wondering if anyone has installed the factory option. I’m not even sure what the part number would be or how to make it happen. Yes, I’m talking about the push button start like in the TRDs. The convenience isn’t worth buying a new truck. I’ve gotten used to using the key in my SR5. It was an adjustment though!

Back