• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Plasti dip- THE WHOLE TRUCK...

Tacomadad18

8️⃣ Paragon
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
2018 SR5 DCSB Auto
Barcelona Red
I’m thinking about plasti dipping my whole truck, Barcelona red, with a matte red.

Is it crazy? Maybe... have I seen another 3rd gen around me that has done it? Nope!

While I know it’s not for all, I have done a vehicle in the past due to bad paint, mismatched colors from replacement panels. Prep work was key and I’m prepared to do it way better than I did on the picture below. I do have the sprayer so it will not be rattled canned!

I’m not into “shiny”, gloss paint. Give me a matte finish all day long. I have enough (brand new cans) of matte red from a project we never did.

Any other third gens out there that have done it? If so, post a pic.

I did this with matte blue to a dodge a I had a few years ago. Turned out way better than expected, being it was my second time. I took the time to remove lights, grille, badges and all that to ensure the paint looked like it was put on from “factory”. I didn’t want tape lines cut with a razor if I didn’t have to have them.

**please ignore the hideous light bar ? **

96DD09C4-0264-485A-A276-7EE9EE566768.png

I’m thinking about plasti dipping my whole truck, Barcelona red, with a matte red.

Is it crazy? Maybe... have I seen another 3rd gen around me that has done it? Nope!

While I know it’s not for all, I have done a vehicle in the past due to bad paint, mismatched colors from replacement panels. Prep work was key and I’m prepared to do it way better than I did on the picture below. I do have the sprayer so it will not be rattled canned!

I’m not into “shiny”, gloss paint. Give me a matte finish all day long. I have enough (brand new cans) of matte red from a project we never did.

Any other third gens out there that have done it? If so, post a pic.

I did this with matte blue to a dodge a I had a few years ago. Turned out way better than expected, being it was my second time. I took the time to remove lights, grille, badges and all that to ensure the paint looked like it was put on from “factory”. I didn’t want tape lines cut with a razor if I didn’t have to have them.

**please ignore the hideous light bar ? **

96DD09C4-0264-485A-A276-7EE9EE566768.png
Looks like you did a good job, I'd be more concerned with plasti-dip staying on, especially after wheeling. Are you having paint problems on your Tacoma?

Looks like you did a good job, I'd be more concerned with plasti-dip staying on, especially after wheeling. Are you having paint problems on your Tacoma?

It was actually on that dodge for a year before I sold the truck. I drove through heavily wooded areas to get to jobs or cut wood. It held up pretty good!

No problems at all but I do have scratches from sticks and stuff, I know that the plasti dip will hold up better than clear coat for scratches.

I only had one issue, I sprayed a part too close to the truck with brake cleaner.... it made two small white spots in the dip, but that was totally my fault!

The Dip Your Car YouTube channel has a ton of great tips on spraying a whole vehicle.

I watched a ton of them before I did the dodge (above). It turned out better than expected so I’m not worried about the install part. I was just seeing if any other third gen had done it!

The pita part is taping off and prep work, all worth it in the end!

ever end up doing this yet, I thought of dipping portions of the truck, almost how some people vinyl wrap the hood and maybe the lower portions of the truck etc.

Also how many cans do you have to do the whole truck// how many do you think it would take for just the hood and mirrors lol, I wanted to do the hood mainly because of rock chips/protection

Also how many cans do you have to do the whole truck// how many do you think it would take for just the hood and mirrors lol, I wanted to do the hood mainly because of rock chips/protection

I have not done it yet. Had plans to over the summer but it was too hot and the tape would not stick right and hold.
I still may do this next spring if I have time.

I have the whole gun setup with the sprayer, my 98 Dodge Ram took 2 gallons, so that’s what I planned on using for the truck. The more layers the better

How do you think spraying it would compare to wrapping it in a matte color?

I only have 4 words @Jfrisch01

You Won’t Do It.

Man, you know those words are my weakness.

Now you revealed something else that goes along with the build this year. This wasn’t so much part of the “Build” but it was planning to be done with/while doing flat bed.

Man, you know those words are my weakness.

Now you revealed something else that goes along with the build this year. This wasn’t so much part of the “Build” but it was planning to be done with/while doing flat bed.
Lol
Nothing like having to adjust a time table

Just wrap it, it’s really not the hard after you get into it. I‘m 17 and I did it by myself, with no previous experience.

Attachments

• 7BD4B8D7-C6FF-4134-94BB-F13A688773A2.jpeg
    7BD4B8D7-C6FF-4134-94BB-F13A688773A2.jpeg
    529.5 KB · Views: 160
  • CE785921-70D0-432D-AFB7-A8BCD48E032E.jpeg
    CE785921-70D0-432D-AFB7-A8BCD48E032E.jpeg
    195.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 287960F3-88A2-437B-AAA1-520EB1DD1376.jpeg
    287960F3-88A2-437B-AAA1-520EB1DD1376.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 150
  • FC0431C0-897D-48FC-A931-8CA5143961B4.jpeg
    FC0431C0-897D-48FC-A931-8CA5143961B4.jpeg
    393 KB · Views: 132
  • D4BAD631-601A-47BF-AB20-24E8DC4CE53D.jpeg
    D4BAD631-601A-47BF-AB20-24E8DC4CE53D.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 134
  • BDB263CC-93B9-4725-B9CB-D9480766532E.jpeg
    BDB263CC-93B9-4725-B9CB-D9480766532E.jpeg
    455.3 KB · Views: 136
I wouldn't spend the time nor the money on plasti-dipping anything.

I wouldn't spend the time nor the money on plasti-dipping anything.

Can I ask your honest opinion why? I’m genuinely curious.

Idk if my first post said it or not, I already have the equipment and dip to do so. I’ve done it before and it turned out awesome. I could have done better with my masking job but that’s not the products fault. I had to tear it off my tailgate once, due to getting starting fluid on it 😬 but the paint underneath was nice after I washed it to reapply.

Just wrap it, it’s really not the hard after you get into it. I‘m 17 and I did it by myself, with no previous experience.

it looks awesome, no doubt about it. I just haaaate wrapping things. I wrapped the chrome on my wife’s car and I couldn’t stop redoing it because I saw imperfections. Would be nice, just not wanting to do it myself lol

Can I ask your honest opinion why? I’m genuinely curious.

Idk if my first post said it or not, I already have the equipment and dip to do so. I’ve done it before and it turned out awesome. I could have done better with my masking job but that’s not the products fault. I had to tear it off my tailgate once, due to getting starting fluid on it 😬 but the paint underneath was nice after I washed it to reapply.

TLDR: If your goal is to color change - then matte wrap it. If your goal is paint protection - then matte PPF it. If you're testing colors - then plasti-dip it.

I don't doubt it looked good when you did it before, but no matter what Plasti-dip will always be a temporary product. Personally, the time, cost and labor to plasti-dip will never outweigh the time, cost and labor of vinyl wrapping. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. There's a reason nobody applies ceramic coatings and PPF over plasti-dipped surfaces - it is essentially a waste. Plasti-dip will not provide any impact protection, can come off with high pressure water and discolors easily. There is a plethora of chemically based contaminants your vehicle could come into contact with on a daily basis that will chew up plasti-dip. You even said it yourself, starter fluid can destroy it. I have always viewed plasti-dip as a gimmicky product.

I would only use plasti-dip temporarily to see if I like a color change enough to commit with a more serious means (i.e. anodizing, powder coating, hydrodipping, cerakoting, painting or vinyl wrapping). In that regard, it is a perfect product because it is easily removed.

TLDR: If your goal is to color change - then matte wrap it. If your goal is paint protection - then matte PPF it. If you're testing colors - then plasti-dip it.

I don't doubt it looked good when you did it before, but no matter what Plasti-dip will always be a temporary product. Personally, the time, cost and labor to plasti-dip will never outweigh the time, cost and labor of vinyl wrapping. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. There's a reason nobody applies ceramic coatings and PPF over plasti-dipped surfaces - it is essentially a waste. Plasti-dip will not provide any impact protection, can come off with high pressure water and discolors easily. There is a plethora of chemically based contaminants your vehicle could come into contact with on a daily basis that will chew up plasti-dip. You even said it yourself, starter fluid can destroy it. I have always viewed plasti-dip as a gimmicky product.

I would only use plasti-dip temporarily to see if I like a color change enough to commit with a more serious means (i.e. anodizing, powder coating, hydrodipping, cerakoting, painting or vinyl wrapping). In that regard, it is a perfect product because it is easily removed.

I do agree. It is very much a temporary thing, I think that’s why I still like it. Even if you completely screw it up it comes off easily (well if there’s enough coats)

I think I paid around 6-700$ when I bought it for the first time (with gun and everything). Wrapping the truck was not an option when the two places I got quotes from wanted 4-5k. That blew my mind. I personally consider a wrap a temporary thing too, just lasts longer than plasti dip.

I’m still on the fence about doing it. I mean it’s in the garage and I have everything needed to do it. I just have to set aside time to mask it off, which I won’t have time for that until work slows.

Again, I was seriously interested in hearing yours thoughts. I appreciate ya chiming in 👍

Back