• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Picked up new SR V6 quad cab 4x4 today--Key question

Happy Trails II

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2021 SR DCSB Auto
White
So I knew the auto industry was having trouble with microchip supplies. When I got the new truck home and looked in the package of manuals etc which also contained the "second" key here his what I found: An access key. Not the programmed entry/engine start key. Just a cut key to access the door locks and steering column lock. But will not operate any systems and will not start the engine. A note was attached to it from the manufacturer explaining that a shortage of electronic parts from the supplier left them unable to supply me a second key. And they will resolve this with me "later".

So....if the key fails or I loose it I am screwed. Truck will have to be towed to a dealer.

Has anyone heard of this before?

Is there a workaround?

Any source for a programmable key?

Any advice?

Welcome aboard.

Back