• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Paint or Plasti Dip...?

CCTaco

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2019 Sport DCLB Auto
White
I want to change my fender flares on my Tacoma to black... I've seen people use plasti dip and I've seen people pay for shops to paint them (quoted $400).... Has anyone done the plasti dip method? Did it last? Any info will be appreciated guys!

If you’re sure that you want them to stay black, take them off and coat them with bed liner yourself for a whole lot less than $400

If you’re sure that you want them to stay black, take them off and coat them with bed liner yourself for a whole lot less than $400
That's an option, but the more I think about it, I might just try sanding them down myself and painting them the satin black like I did for my hoodscoop. Paying the $400 would just be out of pure laziness lol. Though I keep seeing the plasti dip option and they seem to come out great. I just don't know if it would easily peel off during a car wash or not....

Plasti dip is great if you do it right. I have it on my chrome bumper covers without issue. I had to redo it once because my garage door shut on it and ripped it, but it protected the chrome underneath so I'm happy about that.

You'll want to do around 10 coats waiting 30mins or so between each coat. Lot's of youtube videos about it.

See my article for photos:
https://trailtacoma.com/2020/05/26/how-to-plasti-dip-chrome-emblem-tacoma/

Plasti dip is great if you do it right. I have it on my chrome bumper covers without issue. I had to redo it once because my garage door shut on it and ripped it, but it protected the chrome underneath so I'm happy about that.

You'll want to do around 10 coats waiting 30mins or so between each coat. Lot's of youtube videos about it.

See my article for photos:
https://trailtacoma.com/2020/05/26/how-to-plasti-dip-chrome-emblem-tacoma/

Roughly how many cans did you go through?

Roughly how many cans did you go through?
A little over 1 can for the rear cap and a couple of emblems, but I probably should have gone a little thicker. So for the fenders I'd say probably 2-3 cans total.

I used Plasti-Dip for the wheels, roof rack, badges, fender flares, etc. on a T4R I used to own. It worked great and held up for several years. Spray paint is best applied as a series of thin coats but Plasti-Dip is different. Lots of thin coats results in a rough, grainy finish which may be what you want for your fender flares. If you want it to be smooth with a clear line when you remove your masking tape then lay down 2 heavy coats--almost to the point of running. YouTube is your friend for proper application.

Back