• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Ov (vforest) questions.

Mrmeanie

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
Looking to get OV tuned on my 2017 Off-road. Still have a few questions, and hope the group can help:
1) How long does the install take? In other words, how long will my truck be down while physically installing the tune through the OBD port?
2) I currently have a Pedal-commander, but still notice a surge in acceleration between 2nd and 3rd in S4 shifter mode as if the ECU learns the pedal input after a while, and starts compensating again. Will the tune eliminate this?
3) Will I even need the commander any longer? I heard the tune mimics this at the ECU instead of at the pedal to give a “cable” feel?
4) Can I just plug my laptop into the OBD with the tune and cables, and flash right away, or is it a really complicated process?
5) Anyone notice a change in the exhaust “note” (sound)?
6) If I load a tune for a specific octane, can I damage something if I use an alternate octane rated fuel - such as if I am on E, and fuel up at a station that has run out of a specific rated fuel?

any help appreciated.

1. Minutes

2. Get rid of the pedal commander before you flash the tune. They don't play nice together. Basically they compete. The tune changes many parameters of the motor and transmission architecture, including smoothing out acceleration curves.

3. See above.

4. You have to get the software set up, which takes a few back and fourth emails to OV.

5. Not really. Exhaust will sound the same.

6. The tunes are what is known as Octane Learning enabled. Meaning they adapt. Every time the truck is turned off and then turned back on the truck starts with the programming for the octane associated with the tune you flashed. If it notices the octane in the fuel isn't what is expected the computer makes changes to adapt. You won't blow up your truck, but you should attempt to run the fuel associated to whatever tune you flash as much as possible.

Man, I've been trying to get my truck tuned for the past 3 weeks. So far 13 emails back and fourth, I'm finally able to get access to vF tuner program and it's not reading the maps. I'm on my 3rd install limit reset (dumbest thing I've seen in something that lets you edit maps)

1st reset, I admit was my fault, I didn't read ahead in the instructions and when nothing came up in the program I assumed something was wrong and uninstalled and reinstalled.
For some reason that reset didn't work. Got a reset today, which took about a week from the and I need one tomorrow because the program isn't reading the files and I'm at my limit again trying different anti virus settings.

That being said, Mathew has been helpful, at this point I feel like I'm being a pain in the ass though. It'd be nice to have a number to call, trying to troubleshoot through email with 2-4 days in between is very frustrating to say the least.

No refunds on software (understandable) so I'm either out $800 or keep plugging away.

And as far as I can tell I'm the only one this has happened to, so odds are good that it'll be just fine for you, should you choose OVtuned.

Finally got it worked out... 100% my fault. I wrote down the default username and my password. But changed the username.

Yeah I'm a little retarded sometimes.

Last edited:
Back