• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Pre-Purchase Question Ov tune or regearing?

I did both, but I think you really need to consider what you are going to be doing with your truck 80% of the time. I regeared to 5.29 but I only take my truck off road and consistently have 400-600 lbs of extra gear. By regearing I was looking for better hill climbing and low end power and I got it. But I was also hoping the regear was going to tame my schizophrenic transmission, it did not. So I got the OV Tune and it has really helped with that aspect. If you are driving your truck to work everyday at freeway speed on 32s and only off roading on the weekends, you probably want an OV Tune. But if you are only off roading, carrying tons of weight or have 35s you would really benefit from a re gear.

Doing both seems to be the ticket.

Back