• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Oil Change Intervals

Great video, and I just purchased a new 2023 Tacoma TRD Pro and my next service is scheduled for 5,000 miles.
My question is, for a new engine, should the "first oil change" be done earlier (~1,000 miles)?
I assumed the first oil change was critical because new engines may have metal fragments in the oil.
If I want the 1st oil change performed earlier, is this cost on me or can I have my dealer cover this?

I'd like to do the oil changes myself, so any recommendations on oil & filter brands for these 3rd Gen Tacomas?

Upvote 0
I change the oil at 1000-miles then at 4000.
So now every time I see 5000 on the clock its time to change the oil,........ no notes needed.
1000 (break in) 4000 (second change) then 5000-10,000-15,000-20,000-25,000 ect.
I am glad I did this,...... extra cost $40 -

I use Toyota Brand 0w-20 ,,,,, $40 a oil change - $6 a quart $4 filter............

Upvote 0
Bought my 23 Tacoma in March
1st change was at 450
2nd at 2500
3rd at 5k
Have used a 5k interval since. I generally do maintenance early. Changed differential fluids and transfer case at 2500 as well. Properly checked auto trans fluid as well.

Upvote 0
Bought my 23 Tacoma in March
1st change was at 450
2nd at 2500
3rd at 5k
Have used a 5k interval since. I generally do maintenance early. Changed differential fluids and transfer case at 2500 as well. Properly checked auto trans fluid as well.
Make sure you use the correct type....... I do my gear, diffs, transfer and MT every 30,000

Upvote 0
Make sure you use the correct type....... I do my gear, diffs, transfer and MT every 30,000

Great point….proper fluids are paramount
I generally do differentials, transfer case as well as auto trans every 25-30k

Upvote 0
Back