• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

off roading question

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliuhrojas

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 Sport DCLB Auto
Cavalry Blue
dumb question but I would like to know different opinions and experiences

I've heard that when off-roading in rocks or dirt its recommended to lower the psi on tires?

I know for sure it helps you in the sand but my question is with anything other than sand? or does it not matter?

I usually run my tires at 38psi (bfgoodrich ko2 285/70r17)

thoughts?

When to air down and how much isn't a simple answer, its a factor of a lot of different part. Tires, wheel vs tire width, terrain, weight, surface, speed, sidewall, compound, etc etc etc.
To give a couple examples:
Hard wheeling trails in Colorado we air down to 8psi front and 6psi rear on the Tacoma. My old buggy I would only go to 12psi because it was on stickies.
Moab wheeling the truck gets about 12-14 psi for most trails.
Mild scenic trails truck stays 16-17 psi, and that's only to make the bumps smoother, not traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back